Anthropology
Course
ANTH 206
Professor
Alberto Sanchez
Semester
Fall

Description
EnvironmentalAnthropology206INTRODUCTIONHeaven only for humans Ex missionaries horse diedAfterlife No animals or Earth Humans are uniqueStrangethink so highly separationoAdamimage of god created from mud not just material breath spiritoEveimage of Adam created from Adams rib1960s image of world public enthusiasm about spaceBelief that humans are Exceptional can travel out of worlds atmosphereDivision becoming more and more untenable climate changeressources2 Methods anthropologists look at the world oHistorical over longest period of time possibleInvention of technologies values develop through timeIdeas change through timeoComparatively CrossCulturally old school of anthropologist by travelingOwn view is not a given 90 of us is microbialnot only humanan ecosystem in ourselves1TWO ABBREVIATED GENEALOGIES OF THE CULTURENATURE DIVIDEUntenableth6 Day Adam Hebrew soil from breath spiritThen God said Let Us make man in Our image according to our likeness And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soulLet them have dominion over the fish of the sea over the birds of the air and over the cattle over all the Earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earthoWomen closer to the earthoHumans not completely material come from divineoHave dominion apartabove all other living thingsThey heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the gardenoBarriers between divine and human not same as after the fallHumanity ApartOver CreatorAdam names animals Organizes nature participates in act of GodHumans created in the image of GodHumans have soulsHumans given dominion over all living thingsHumans used to commune to GodWhy after the fall dominion wasnt revokedHumanity set apart from creationHeavenHellIllustrate the exceptionality Christians accord to HumanoAnglo American artists white tunicsoPentecostal Mexican LatinAmericaRevelation XXIststAnd I saw a new heavena new Earth for the 1 heaventhe 1 earth were passed away and there was no more sea he that sat upon the throne said Behold I make all things newdestroyed to get rid of sinHe that overcometh shall inherit all thingsBehold the tabernacle of God is with mean and he will dwell with the and they shall be his peopleGod himself shall be with himbe their GodCreation is made dispensableThe creation narrative in Genesis is the type The creation of a new heavena new Earth in Revelation is the antitypeoCreation fulfilled through further enactment of creationHuman being given dominion over all living thing is the type The righteous inheriting of all things in the new world is the antitypeGod walking with AdamEve in the garden is the type God himself being with them in a new heaven and a new earth is the antitypeBiblical typology effectively sidelines creation making it no more than the stageprops used to play out of the drama of redemptionGospel Song This world is not my home Im just a passing through My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blueI cant feel at home in this world anymoreoClay of body can be formed again and again breath is importantChristianity is far from the only response to an otherwordly desireColonizing other PlanetsFree from the constraints of earthour relationship to other terrestrial life formsRevelationScience Place humans out of a particular context which is Earth Inhabiting HeavenSpacePlease note that I am NOT arguing that the desire fir space travel is a secularized version of the desire to go to heavenBoth beliefs although established on very different foundations are about freeing humans from the constraint of the biological and material world in which we liveTake two Necessarily SchematicIncompletePhilippe DescolaBorn in 1949
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 206

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit