ARCH 551 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Transit City, Business Cycle

53 views1 pages
ARCH 551: Topic 5
Movement in the Metropolitan Landscape: Transportation, Residential Mobility, and Multiple Residency
Lecture cancelled, summary of slides given on: 01/29/18
Types of mobility:
Everyday mobility: individual moving around an urban landscape, mostly daily activities (i.e.-
commute to McGill)
Residential mobility: moving entire households and possessions within a given metropolitan
region  reorganizing routines (i.e.- have to change commute), example: moving from
Westmount to the Plateau
Migration: migrating away from a given metropolitan region, often within the same country
(common in Canada and the U.S.)
Multiple residency: residing in more than one dwelling, (i.e.- having an everyday home and a
mountain house),
oRecent phenomena: more and more often the designated second home is becoming
closer to the primary home, thus resulting in the tenants moving back in forth between
homes more often
Occasional travel: i.e.- vacation
Thinking about urban form and transportation:
oPre-industrial walking city (pre-1850’s)
Only a gradual densification of population permitted in this urban form
oTransit city (1850-1950’s)
Streetcar suburbs, mixed use of streets
oAutomobile city (post 1950’s)
Became dominant urban form because of poor public transit conditions
Transportation, urban form, and energy use
oCanada: energy use is high because of the weather conditions; especially in personal
transportation (automobiles)
Problem of premature subdivision:
oSpeculation of planned public transit  overenthusiastic waves of urban land speculation
and private investors subdividing space  unable to sell off as much land as speculated
Correlates with business cycles
Leads to eccentric patterns of housing in neighborhoods
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Movement in the metropolitan landscape: transportation, residential mobility, and multiple residency. Lecture cancelled, summary of slides given on: 01/29/18. Everyday mobility: individual moving around an urban landscape, mostly daily activities (i. e. - commute to mcgill) Residential mobility: moving entire households and possessions within a given metropolitan region reorganizing routines (i. e. - have to change commute), example: moving from. Migration: migrating away from a given metropolitan region, often within the same country (common in canada and the u. s. ) Thinking about urban form and transportation: pre-industrial walking city (pre-1850"s) Only a gradual densification of population permitted in this urban form: transit city (1850-1950"s) Streetcar suburbs, mixed use of streets: automobile city (post 1950"s) Became dominant urban form because of poor public transit conditions. Transportation, urban form, and energy use: canada: energy use is high because of the weather conditions; especially in personal transportation (automobiles)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers