BIOL 111 (283)

Lecture 21 - Class Mammalia.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Biology (Sci)
BIOL 111
Suzanne Gray

Mammals I: Reproduction Class Mammalia:  ~ 5,000 species  Endothermic (produce heat inside of them)  Advanced nervous system  Internal fertilization (females don’t lay eggs outside the body)  Unlike reptiles and fish, mammals also show heterodonty  different teeth specialized for different tasks o Example: molars and premolars for grinding things down  Specialization in teeth among mammals reflect varied diets Clicker Question: Who evolved first, mammals or birds? Mammals 4 characteristics: 1. Hair: insulation, camouflage, sensory and defense (some mammals have fur or blubber instead of hair) 2. 4-chambered heart: not unique to animals, apparent in birds and crocodiles as well  independent evolution 3. Sweat glands 4. Mammary glands: milk production Divergence between reptilian and Divergencemammalian-like amniotes occurred duringmniotes ocgurred during Carboniferous (~350 MYA) Carboniferous (~ 350 MYA) • SSkullll morphology is key characteristic used to denntfyf relatedness among amnnotes Skull morphology differences in amniotes Differences in Skull Morphology in Amniotes: a. Anapsids: turtles eye Skull types of b. Synapsids: therapsids and mammals nostriill amniotes c. Euryapsids: extinct marine reptiles d. Diapsids: birds and dinosaurs a. Anapsids (turtles) Key difference between skulls is presence, size b. Synapsids (incl. and number of temporal fenestrae = holes that Therapsds & provide more surface area for muscle attachment Mammals) Humans have arches attached by muscles, instead of holes. difference between skulls is presence, size & number of c. Euryappsdss temporal fenestrae = holes (extinct marine reptiles) thattprovide moore surface Mammals I: Reproduction The Therapsid (an early synapsid) gave rise to mammals:  Outwardly looked like a reptile  Powerful jaws  Teeth are differentiated into frontal incisors for nipping, canines for puncturing and tearing and molars for shearing and chopping food  Legs are positioned more vertically beneath their bodies than are the sprawling legs of reptiles Mammalian Evolution:  Brain vs. body size  larger the body size, the larger the brain  True mammals evolved ~225 mya (Triassic) o Early mammals were small, aboreal (lived in trees), shrew-like insectivores, nocturnal o Improvement to middle ear o Mammals coexisted with dinosaurs as little shrews with fast past life and feeding all the time  Example: Hadrocodium wui (smallest mammal) o ~195 mya (Jurassic) o Found in China o Size: 12mm, 2g o Significantly larger brain for its size o Has middle ear bones derived from jaw Mammals did not radiate until extinction of “dinosaurs”  Coexisted with dinosaurs  Mammals became a dominant group upon their extinction (~65 mya)  Diversified  Filled empty terrestrial and marine niches o Dinosaurs were taking over the niches, preventing the mammals from diversifying  Mammals evolved in the terrestrial environment and then colonized back in their marines Hermaphroditism: Simultaneous Hermaphroditism: capable of producing egg and sperm at the same point in their life cycle (either at the same time or different times) Sequential Hermaphroditism: only capable of producing egg and sperm at different points in their life cycle (i.e. organism changes sex  start life as one sex and end life as a different sex) Sexual Dimorphism: sexes appear different (i.e. size, color, morphology) Mammals I: Reproduction Mammal Reproduction: Asexual Reproduction Sexual Reproduction
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.