BIOL 115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Hydrophile, Carboxylic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide

48 views5 pages

Document Summary

The 3 big are oxygen (o), carbon (c), and hydrogen (h) Covalent bonds are much harder to break than ionic bonds or hydrogen bonds; other interactions, such as hydrophobic and van der waals interactions, are based on molecular attraction and repulsion. Has a carbon backbone with covalent bonds. At least one bond to hydrogen (h) May also contain oxygen (o) and/or nitrogen (n) Car(cid:271)o(cid:374) is the (cid:271)asis of the (cid:862)orga(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)ole(cid:272)ules(cid:863) that are asso(cid:272)iated with life. Car(cid:271)o(cid:374) is also fou(cid:374)d i(cid:374) (cid:862)i(cid:374)orga(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)ole(cid:272)ules(cid:863) su(cid:272)h as co2. Form when electrons are transferred between two atoms. Are weaker (easier to break) than covalent bonds. As a liquid, the h-bonds between h2o molecules break continuously but randomly. Fluidity over a large temp range, mixes molecules for chemical reactions, moderates temperature, surface tension (cohesion) Shared electron pairs (covalent bond) are not. This is because o is electronegative relative to h equidistant between o and h atoms.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers