BIOL 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Biodiversity Hotspot, Umbrella Species, Biogeography

32 views3 pages

Document Summary

Hyperparasite: is a parasite of a parasite, often hymenoptera. It is mainly found in the world of insect. Primary succession describes the growth of plants on a substrate that is rock (not living, and never experienced a growth of a community before - i. e. mt. In the case of lupinus present on mt. St. helene, there were two processes: chance event (probability) that seeds come in via birds or wind, effect of lupinus as a species that facilitates or helps colonization for other species. During primary succession, facilitation is one process where facilitating species modify the environment to make it less suitable for them more suitable for others (i. e. alder trees fix nitrogen in soils) Another model of succession of how plants change over the course of time is inhibition (i. e. abandoned tobacco fields in the piedmont of north caroline) The example of broomsedge is a good example of inhibition model.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers