BIOL 304 Lecture Notes - Lecture 30: Pikaia, Fitness Landscape, Bronchus

13 views4 pages

Document Summary

Material optimization: ih beams: i-beam resists dorsal-ventral (up/down) compression really well. Hollowing out materials is good for when there is both types of compression. We see these optimizations everywhere; even the smallest animals are restricted by how much bone they lay down (cost- metabolism) Thus, they hollow out bones as much as possible, and create spaces strategically, making i and. Ex: brachiosaurus: particular carvings out are specific for particular forces that the animal was out under. Semicircular canal size: does(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease i(cid:374) size (cid:449)ith large (cid:271)od(cid:455) size, no need for the(cid:373) to (cid:271)e (cid:271)igger to (cid:449)ork (cid:271)etter i(cid:374) larger a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als, a(cid:374)d the(cid:455) (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e (cid:373)u(cid:272)h smaller and still function. Many constraints here: some break this rule by undergoing metamorphosis eg: frogs, birds have adapted by creating many complex surfaces within the egg- extra embryonic membrane allows for more respiratory surface, allowing for larger eggs and embryos.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers