Premium

2 Pages

Department
Canadian Studies
Course Code
CANS 406
Professor
Desmond Morton

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
MGCR 423
Thursday March 22nd
Group project updates (see announcement on MyCourses)
On 29th: presentations on Canada Goose, Adidas, Tesla
Midterm:
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: reviewing session
o Exact timing will be on MyCourses
Grades have been uploaded
Average is 73%
Question
What is Disney Studios' tentpole or blockbuster strategy?
Tentpole: production budget ranging from $150 and $250 million
o Other companies (Dreamworks) also use this strategy, to maximize profits
o But Disney is a bit more aggressive
Most of the revenues come from movies with the biggest costs
o Allocate resources to movies they feel will mostly likely be successful
8 big-budget films: in 2016, 4 had budget of 200m and 4 with 150m.
o Each of five studios are expected to produced at least one tentpole a year
Live action made 3 movies
Animation : 1
Pixar : 1
Marvel: 2
Lucas: 1
+ 3-4 small movies
Small movies: not a big source of revenues
Mix o new and existing properties: Disney tries to find balance between pursuing films based on
known properties (sequels) and new ones
o Don't have to advertise as much because characters/universe is known
No co-financing: Disney finance 100% o production budget and marketing for all films
o Increases both risk and possible reward
How does it fit in Disney's organization and brand?
Pioneer in animation: first ever full-length animated feature film (Snow White)
"speak to family audience", "covenant with the audience"
Acquired marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm
o All have a strong brand
Common link in all of the studio labels "great stories, great characters, and great content
producers"
Large entertainment conglomerate
Economics of making movies
Small budgets films can always become big budget (if the idea is good?)
Still make money
Less risky
Reflect the values of Disney
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MGCR 423 Thursday March 22 nd Group project updates (see announcement on MyCourses) On 29th: presentations on Canada Goose, Adidas, Tesla Midterm: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: reviewing session o Exact timing will be on MyCourses Grades have been uploaded Average is 73% Question What is Disney Studios' tentpole or blockbuster strategy? Tentpole: production budget ranging from $150 and $250 million o Other companies (Dreamworks) also use this strategy, to maximize profits o But Disney is a bit more aggressive Most of the revenues come from movies with the biggest costs o Allocate resources to movies they feel will mostly likely be successful 8 big-budget films: in 2016, 4 had budget of 200m and 4 with 150m. o Each of five studios are expected to produced at least one tentpole a year Live action made 3 movies Animation : 1 Pixar : 1 Marvel: 2 Lucas: 1 + 3-4 small movies Small movies: not a big source of revenues Mix o new and existing properties: Disney tries to find balance between pursuing films based on known properties (sequels) and new ones o Don't have to advertise as much because characters/universe is known No co-financing: Disney finance 100% o production budget and marketing for all films o Increases both risk and possible reward How does it fit in Disney's organization and brand? Pioneer in animation: first ever full-length animated feature film (Snow White) "speak to family audience", "covenant with the audience" Acquired marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm o All have a strong brand Common link in all of the studio labels "great stories, great characters, and great content producers" Large entertainment conglomerate Economics of making movies Small budgets films can always become big budget (if the idea is good?) Still make money Less risky Reflect the values of Disney Balanced product-portfolio strategy o Smaller budget bets can serve as tests for future big bets o Smaller-budget bets keep channel partner satisfied o Gives studios more flexibility and ability to spread fixed costs o Can help build studio's reputation or serve as 'passion projects' for A-list talent Bigger budget films o Perform better at international box office o Earn greater share of box-office receipts o Relatively inexpensive to advertise o Greater potential for consumer-product
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit