Civil Engineering
Course
CIVE 462
Professor
Colin A Rogers
Semester
Fall

Description
Tension in members (Simple Welds) 1)Find the forces in the truss members required 2)Find L, w and t, then A , n1ann2A (S22)n3nd use to find A = A + A +ne <= An1 n2 n3 g *Note that t should be subtracted to w to account for the weld • A n1wt • If L >= 2w An2 wt 2w>L>=w An2 0.50wt + 0.25Lt W > L An2 0.75 Lt • If L>= w An3 (1-x/L)wt where x is the distance from the weld to the centroid W > L An3 0.50 Lt • Convert dimensions (1” = 25.4mm) in mm if required Use appropriate table to find A gW: S8, S79, Angles: S25, S31, Channels: S37, ...) For Complicated cross-section geometries use : A = A (1-neL) g 3) Find tension resistance Use table pS2 to determine F = F vnd Fywith reupect to the date published -3 T r φA Fgx y0 , where φ = 0.90 T r φ AuFne u0 , where φ = 0.75u 4) Maximum Slenderness I Check that : L/r <= 300, where r = radius of gyration = √ A , find both Rxand R any L ' 2 is the total length. (I =I+Ax ́ ) Tension in members (Bolted Connections) 1) Find the forces in the truss members 2) Find the required constants F ynd F frum table pS3 A, d, b, t, w from the member table 3) Determine A (Sn6) for a number of fracture paths. The smallest controls the design *Note: Bolt hole size = bolt diameter + 2 mm for drilled holes = bolt diameter + 4 mm for punched holes (or plasma cutting) A n1-1 w n = A gA boltsFor segments of failure path normal to the applied force A n2-2A g (-nd +hs /4g)t For segments of failure path inclined to the applied force (pS21) s is the spacing between holes parallel to the applied force g is the spacing perpendicular to the applied force 4) Determine Tension Resistance (evaluate all these cases, lowest controls the design) i) Failure occurs over gross area, T =rφA F g yhere φ = 0.90 ii) Shear lag controls, Tr= φ u ne,uwhere φ = 0u75 and see pS27 for A ne iii) Block Shear failure (S17): Tr= φ uUA t n u.6A (F gvF y/2) u U t 1.0 for symmetric blocks of failure patterns and concentric loading) exceptions pS17 where A =gvross area in shear(ignore holes) and A =net nrea in tension(consider holes) iv) Plug shear failure: Tr= φ u0,6A gv +y )/u), note that A igvcalculated from sum of bolt lines 5) Check Slenderness Axial Compression 1) Find factored concentric load 2) Use appropriate table to find the values: F ,yA, R ,xR y d, b, t, w 3) Check Maximum width-to-thickness ratio: bel b/2 200 = ≤ to avoid flange local elastic buckling or anything applicable t t √F y table 1 pS41 h ≤ 670 w F to avoid web local elastic buckling √ y kL I I ≤200 r = y∧r = x 4) Check Slenderness limits: r , where y √ √ x A , see pS46 for k Selection tables can only be used if the weak axis controls 5) Check that C>C r f −1 Cr=ϕ A g y1+λ2n)n , where ϕ=0.90 and P λ= y , where P yA F y (yield or squash load) and √ PE PE=Eulerbucklingload P y A Fy kL Fy λ= P = 2 = r 2 For Euler Flexural buckling: E π EA2 √π E Use the larg
More Less

Related notes for CIVE 462

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit