Classics (291)
CLAS 203 (218)
Lecture 4

Lecture 4 Notes.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

CLAS 203
Margaret Palczynski

CLAS203 Lecture 4 Notes Religion:  Polytheistic (believed by Greeks: many gods); anthropomorphic (in the eyes/shape of human begins)  gods do not create world; dwell within  No god is powerful: each has own sphere of influence  gods exhibit humanlike behaviour: love, hate, ambition, greed, etc.  gods can communicate with mortals by oracles (oracles were way will of god to communicate his/her will through a prophecy)  Sacrifices are rituals that is associated with myth or myth associated with sacrifices  Myth reveals early Greek beliefs: o Belief in magic: manipulation of outside world by rituals and spells o Belief in curses: words embody power o Belief in spirits: ghosts of the dead o Belief in miasma (pollution): blood guilt of murderers affects those around them  Myth shows overlap of human and natural worlds: o Animals with human qualities (i.e. speech) o Birth of humans from nonhumans (i.e. tree) o Metamorphoses of humans into gods, animals, trees, etc. Greece and Rome:  Romans adopted and ‘remade’ Greek myth in their own image (to suit themselves)  Own culture, religious heritage, but few known traditional stories  Differences in society, beliefs evident in ‘reworking’ of myths (i.e. lessened importance of the sea)  Adopted Phoenician alphabet circa 600 B.C.  Passed alphabet and classical tradition to following generations Development of Classical Myth:  Greek myth begins in primordial times: untraceable  Comparative archaeology and comparative linguistics aim at reconstructing myth transmission before writing (have language and artifacts as evidence)  Early figurines (6500-5700 B.C.) of females emphasizing fertility found in graves o Magical power of woman to produce new life always in focus o Hard to determine on basis of archaeological remains which details in myth are old/new  Reconstruction of Indo European: had words for religious concepts o Name of ‘sky god’ preserved in many IE languages o Deyw-o- god, i.e. ‘shining’ o Luppiter comes
More Less

Related notes for CLAS 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.