Classics
Course
CLAS 210
Professor
Roman
Semester
Summer

Description
CASE SYSTEM There are six cases in Latin, related to some syntax functions of the noun. Each case can be related to more than one function. NOMINATIVE :Subject /Subject complement. Ex : My sister likes snakes ; My crazy sister likes snakes ; My sister, this crazy girl, likes snakes. My sister/My crazy sister are subject in the two first sentences ; ‘this crazy girl’ is a group describing the subject (my sister) ; then it will also be expressed in the nominative case. ACCUSATIVE : Direct Object / Prepositionnal complement (after ad+ acc. (towards, to) and in+ acc. (to : when there is a movement, a direction) Ex : My sister likes snakes ; I go to school (movement) ABLATIVE : instrument, means / Prepositional complement (after ab (from =origin) ; expressing the place where you are (no movement : in + abl) ; with cum + abl. (with) He shows me the direction with his hand ; He comes from school ; He is in the classroom (no movement) DATIVE : indirect object / other functions we will see later The master gives the slave a horse. He told them to memorize the cases. GENITIVE : Possession/description (we will see it later) Cicero’s works are famous ; this is about the truth of love. VOCATIVE : Direct address Citizen, go and vote ! 2nd Declension : ANIMUS Singular Plural Nom. ANIMUS ANIMI Acc. ANIMUM ANIMOS Abl.
More Less

Related notes for CLAS 210

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit