ECON 460 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation

18 views2 pages
February 5th, 2018
OSFI Continued
Under the Bank Act, banks are incorporated under a special framework; rules parallel to rules for other
types of corporations, but specific rules on ownership, board of directors composition, etc.
---ownership a few people can start a corporation, but not a bank; surprising because big
corporations have a huge effect on the economy, must have power diffused over many share-holders to
maintain public confidence, higher risk when power is concentrated because it a e i soeoe’s
personal interest to declare bankruptcy, no longer possible with many share-holders who have other
assets
Part Nine: Regulation- Superintendent
628: A bank shall provide the superintendent with such information, at such times and in such form as
the superintendent may require.
---this is quite sweeping; access to all information about banks, enforceable in court
644.1 “uperitedet a eter ito a prudetial agreeet ith a ak to iproe its safet
645 Directions of compliance
646-7 Disqualification and removal of directors (this has never happened)
Fro the “uperitedet’s poit of ie, differet reedies orrespod to differet leels of seerit. If
the bank is not functioning, there is the option/threat of director removal. Paradoxical: sends a strong
signal to the public and undermines public confidence
648 Supervisory intervention for a period of 16 days (never occurred)
---theoretiall, a tea fro the superitedet ould sho up i a ak’s offies ad take oer; this
requires an extreme situation in which the bank is not paying its liabilities
It is ot i the regulator’s iterest to oeruse, or ee to use, these ehaiss. This reates a push-
and-pull in which banks will test the limits of what they can do before the regulator invokes certain
reedies, ad reedies hih are ot i the regulator’s iterest go uused.
OSFI is part of a collection of agencies dealing with the Canadian economy; department of finance, bank
of Canada, Canada deposit insurance corporation, financial consumer agency of Canada
---all managed by Minister of Finance
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Under the bank act, banks are incorporated under a special framework; rules parallel to rules for other types of corporations, but specific rules on ownership, board of directors composition, etc. 628: a bank shall provide the superintendent with such information, at such times and in such form as the superintendent may require. --this is quite sweeping; access to all information about banks, enforceable in court. 644. 1 uperi(cid:374)te(cid:374)de(cid:374)t (cid:373)a(cid:455) e(cid:374)ter i(cid:374)to a (cid:862)prude(cid:374)tial agree(cid:373)e(cid:374)t(cid:863) (cid:449)ith a (cid:271)a(cid:374)k to i(cid:373)pro(cid:448)e its safet(cid:455) 646-7 disqualification and removal of directors (this has never happened) Fro(cid:373) the uperi(cid:374)te(cid:374)de(cid:374)t"s poi(cid:374)t of (cid:448)ie(cid:449), differe(cid:374)t re(cid:373)edies (cid:272)orrespo(cid:374)d to differe(cid:374)t le(cid:448)els of se(cid:448)erit(cid:455). If the bank is not functioning, there is the option/threat of director removal. Paradoxical: sends a strong signal to the public and undermines public confidence. 648 supervisory intervention for a period of 16 days (never occurred)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers