Key_Terms.doc

1 Page

Department
Religious Studies
Course Code
EDER 203
Professor
Sonya Laszlo

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Key Terms- Christianity
Quiz #2
1) Baptism- The sprinkling or immersion in water, the ritual by which a person is
initiated into membership in the Christian community. Baptism is considered a
cleansing from sin.
2) Glossolalia- Speaking in strange tongues, which is a principal feature of
charismatic behaviour.
3) Passion- The suffering and death of Jesus on the cross.
4) Pentecost- The fiftieth day after Easter, commemorated as the occasion when
Jesus’ followers experienced dramatically the presence of the Holy Spirit and the
ability to preach and be understood in different languages.
5) Sacrament- A ritual action seen as signifying divine grace. The most widely
accepted as sacraments are baptism and the Eucharist; the Catholic Church has
regarded these plus five others as sacraments since the thirteenth century.
6) Transubstantiation- The Catholic doctrine that the bread and wine of the Eucharist
are at the moment of consecration in the service miraculously transformed into the
body and blood of Christ.
7) Apostle’s Creed- A brief statement of Christian doctrinal belief dating from about
the third century but ascribed to the apostles or first generation followers of Jesus,
and often recited in unison by congregation.
8) Atonement- Christ’s restoration of humanity to a right relationship with God,
variously interpreted as divine victory over demonic power, satisfaction of divine
justice, or demonstration of a moral example.
9) Bishop- The supervising priest of a district called a diocese. In some branches of
Christianity the bishop has charge of ordaining priests as well as confirming
baptisms.
10) Canon-A standard. A scriptural canon is the list of books acknowledged as
scripture. The list of acknowledged saints is likewise a canon. Canon law is the
accumulated body of Church regulations and discipline. Clergy subject to the rule
of a particular cathedral or congregation are also sometimes termed canons.
11) Crucifix- A cross with an image of the suffering Jesus mounted on it.
12) Eucharist- The ritual re-enactment of Jesus’ sacrifice of himself, patterned after
his sharing bread and wine as his body and blood at his final Passover meal with
his disciples. The Orthodox term it the liturgy, Catholics the mass, and Protestants
the Lord’s Supper or Holy Communion.
13) Indulgences- Releases from specified amounts of time in purgatory, a realm to
which in Catholic doctrine the soul proceeds after death for an unspecified period
of preparation to enter heaven.
14) Logos- ‘Word’ in the sense of eternal divine intelligence and purpose, an idea
prominent in Greek thought at the time of Jesus.
15) Mysticism- A tradition cultivating and reflecting on the content of moments of
intensely felt spiritual union with the divine.
16) Nicene Creed- An ancient doctrinal formulation longer and more explicit than the
Apostles’ Creed and still in the use through regular recitation in the catholic mass.
17) Trinity-The conception of God as having three ‘persons’ or manifestations: as
father, as son and as Holy Spirit. The doctrine emerged during the late third
century and was adopted after vigorous debate in the fourth.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Key Terms- Christianity Quiz #2 1) Baptism- The sprinkling or immersion in water, the ritual by which a person is initiated into membership in the Christian community. Baptism is considered a cleansing from sin. 2) Glossolalia- Speaking in strange tongues, which is a principal feature of charismatic behaviour. 3) Passion- The suffering and death of Jesus on the cross. 4) Pentecost- The fiftieth day after Easter, commemorated as the occasion when Jesus’ followers experienced dramatically the presence of the Holy Spirit and the ability to preach and be understood in different languages. 5) Sacrament- A ritual action seen as signifying divine grace. The most widely accepted as sacraments are baptism and the Eucharist; the Catholic Church has regarded these plus five others as sacraments since the thirteenth century. 6) Transubstantiation- The Catholic doctrine that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are at the moment of consecration in the service miraculously transformed into the body and blood of Christ. 7) Apostle’s Creed- A brief statement of Christian doctrinal belief dating from about the third century but ascribed to the apostles or first generation followers of Jesus, and often recited in unison by congregation. 8) Atonement- Christ’s restoration of humanity to a right relationship with God, variously interpreted as divine victory over demonic power, satisfaction of divine justice, or demonstration of a moral example. 9) Bishop- The supervising priest of a district called a diocese. In some branches of Christianity the bishop has charge of
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit