chap05.pdf

17 Pages

Department
Electrical Engineering
Course Code
ECSE 305
Professor
Ioannis P.

This preview shows pages 1,2,3,4. Sign up to view the full 17 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 5 Introduction to Random Variables Consider a random experiment described by a triplet (S;F;P). In applica- tions of probabilities, we are often interested in numerical quantities derived from the experimental outcomes. These quantities may be viewed as func- tions from the sample space S into the set of real numbers R, as in: s 2 S ! X(s) 2 R Provided certain basic requirements are satis▯ed, these quantities are gener- ally called random variables. As an example, consider the sum of the two numbers showing up when rolling a fair die twice: ▯ The set of all possible outcomes is S = f(i;j) : i;j 2 f1;2;:::;6gg. ▯ The sum of the two numbers showing up may be represented by the functional relationship s = (i;j) ! X(s) = i + j: ▯ Note that the function X(s) may be used in turn to de▯ne more complex events. For instance, the event that the sum is greater or equal to 11 may be expressed concisely as A = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ 11g 117 118 The terminology random variable is appropriate in this type of situations because: ▯ The value X(s) depends on the experimental outcome s. ▯ The outcome s of a particular realization of the random experiment (i.e. a trial) is unknown beforehand, and so is X(s). ▯ Each experimental trial may lead to a di▯erent value of X(s) Random variables are extremely important in engineering applications. They are often used to model physical quantities of interest that cannot be pre- dicted exactly due to uncertainties. Some examples include: ▯ Voltage and current measurements in an electronic circuit. ▯ Number of erroneous bits per second in a digital transmission. ▯ Instantaneous background noise amplitude at the output of an audio ampli▯er. Modelization of such quantities as random variables allows the use of proba- bility in the design and analysis of these systems. This and the next few Chapters are devoted to the study of random variables, including: de▯nition, characterization, standard models, properties, and a lot more... In this Chapter, we give a formal de▯nition of a random variable, we introduce the concept of a cumulative distribution function and we introduce the basic types of random variables. 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.1 Preliminary notions 119 5.1 Preliminary notions Function from S into R: ▯ Let S denote a sample space of interest. ▯ A function from S into R is a mapping, say X, that associate to every outcome in S a unique real number X(s): mapping X S s 3 s2 real axis s1 X(s1) X(s2)=X(s3) Figure 5.1: Illustration of a mapping X from S into R. ▯ The following notation is often used to convey this idea: X : s 2 S ! X(s) 2 R: (5.1) ▯ We refer to the sample space S as the domain of the function X. ▯ The range of the function X, denoted R , iX de▯ned as R X fX(s) : s 2 Sg ▯ R (5.2) That is, R X is the of all possible values for X(s), or equivalently, the set of all real numbers that can be \reached" by the mapping X. 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.1 Preliminary notions 120 Inverse function: ▯ Let X be a function from S into R. ▯1 ▯ We de▯ne the inverse function X as follows: for any subset D of R, ▯1 X (D) = fs 2 S : X(s) 2 Dg (5.3) ▯1 ▯ That is, X (D) is the subset of S containing all the outcomes s (possibly more than one) such that X(s) is in D. This is illustrated below. mapping X -1 S real axis X (D) D=[a,b] Figure 5.2: Illustration of inverse mapping X ▯ This de▯nition of an inverse is very general; it applies even in the case when X is many-to-one. Left semi-in▯nite intervals: ▯ To every x 2 R, we associate a left semi-in▯nite interval I x de▯ned as Ix, (▯1;x] = fy 2 R : y ▯ xg (5.4) ▯ The inverse image of I xnder mapping X is given by X ▯1 (Ix) = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg (5.5) 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.2 Definition of a random variable 121 5.2 De▯nition of a random variable De▯nition: Let (S;F;P) be a probability space. A function X : s 2 S ! X(s) 2 R is called a random variable (RV) if X ▯1(I ) = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg 2 F; for all x 2 R (5.6) x Discussion: ▯ According to this de▯nition, X de▯nes a mapping from sample space S into R, as illustrated in Figure 5.1 ▯ However, X is not arbitrary: we require that for any x 2 R, the inverse ▯1 image X (Ix), as illustrated in Figure 5.3, be a valid event. mapping X -1 S Ix real axis X (I ) x x Figure 5.3: Inverse image X(I ) x ▯ This condition ensures that P(fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg), i.e. the probability that X(s) belong to the interval I , xs well-de▯ned. 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.2 Definition of a random variable 122 Example 5.1: I A fair coin is ipped twice. Let random variable X represent the number of tails observed in this experiment. Here, the sample space may be de▯ned as S = fHH;HT;TH;TTg Since this is a ▯nite set, a proper choice of event algebra is F = P S f;;fHHg;:::;Sg 4 Note that F contains 2 = 16 events. According to the problem statement, the function X : S ! R may be computed as follows: s = HH ! X(s) = 0 s = HT or TH ! X(s) = 1 s = TT ! X(s) = 2 so that its range isXR= f0;1;2g. This is illustrated below: For any x 2 R, we have ▯1 X (x ) = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg 2 F since x is a subset of S and F = S contains all the possible subsets of S. This shows that X is a valid random variable. For instance: x < 0 ) X ▯1(x ) = ; 2 F ▯1 0 ▯ x < 1 ) X (x ) = fHHg 2 F ▯1 1 ▯ x < 2 ) X (x ) = fHH;HT;THg 2 F ▯1 2 ▯ x ) X (x ) = S 2 F ▯ J 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.2 Definition of a random variable 123 Remarks on condition (5.6): ▯ By de▯nition, X ▯1(I ) = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg is a subset of S. Therefore, x whenever F = P , cSndition (5.6) is satis▯ed and we need not worry about it. This is the case when S is ▯nite or countably in▯nite. ▯ When S is uncountably in▯nite and F = B , theSe exist functions X : S ! R that do not satisfy condition (5.6) and for which P(fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg) is not de▯ned. It is precisely to avoid this situation that (5.6) is included in the de▯nition of a random variable. ▯ In applications, we will want to compute probabilities of the type P(fs 2 S : X(s) 2 Dg) where D ▯ R represents any practical subset of real numbers. This includes, for example, intervals of the type [a;b], for any a ▯ b 2 R, as well as unions, intersections and/or complements of such intervals. ▯ As a consequence of condition (5.6), it can be shown that fs 2 S : X(s) 2 Dg) 2 F for any D 2 B ,Rso that P(fs 2 S : X(s) 2 Dg) is well-de▯ned for any practical subset of real-numbers (see next page for more on this). ▯ In this course, we shall work with relatively simple functions X and shall ▯1 always assume that the condition X (Ix) 2 F is satis▯ed. 2003 Beno^▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.2 Definition of a random variable 124 Further remarks (optional reading): ▯1 ▯ The condition X (Ix) 2 F in the de▯nition of random variable X ensures that ▯1 X (x ) = fs 2 S : X(s) ▯ xg ▯1 is a valid event, for which the probability P(X(Ix)) is well-de▯ned. ▯ More importantly, the condition ensures that for practical subsets of real numbers encountered in applications of probability, i.e. for any D 2RB , the Borel ▯eld of R, the set of experimental outcomes ▯1 X (D) = fs 2 S : X(s) 2 Dg is also a valid event for which a probability can be computed. ▯ While the detail of the proof are beyond the scope of this course, the justi▯cation of this statement involves three basic steps: - Any real number subset D 2 B R can be expressed as a combination of unions, intersections and complements of basic intervals of the typexI . ▯1 - Because X (Ix) 2 F for any x and because F is a ▯-algebra (closed under union, ▯1 intersection and complement), it follows that X (D) is also in F. ▯1 ▯1 - Finally, X (D) 2 F implies that P(X (D)) is well-de▯ned. ▯1 ▯ In the next section, we will see how P(X (Ix)) can actually be used in the computation ▯1 of P(X (D)). 2003 Beno^ ▯t Champagne Compiled February 10, 2012 5.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3,4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit