ENGL 100 Lecture Notes - Mission San Juan Bautista

29 views1 pages

For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.

Part 4
He drives back to her place and finds her car and flowers inside her car there. He goes to see Midge now. He asks
her who she knows that’s an authority on San Francisco authority? The Bohemian days. She says Pop Liebel who
owns the Argosy Bookshop. Pop tells them that the hotel was built for her many years ago by a rich powerful man.
She came from somewhere small to the south of the city. She was very young, dancing and singing cabaret- the
powerful man took her and built her a big house and there was a child. He then threw her away, he had no other
children, and his wife had no other children. He kept the child and threw her away. She became the sad Carlotta,
walking the streets alone, in the house alone. Then she became the mad Carlotta- stopping people in the street asking
“where’s my child?” She died at her own hand. Midge begs Scottie to tell her why he wanted to know, but he
doesn’t. Midge asks Scottie if Madeline is pretty, and he says yes. She says she’ll go take another look at that
portrait. Gavin says Madeline inherited jewellery that belonged to Carlotta, she puts them on and stares into the
mirror and goes into a different world. She was her great grandmother. Gavin tells Scottie Madeline knows nothing
about this stuff. Her mother told Gavin before she died. She told Madeline she just had a crazy grandmother who
took her life. He follows her to the museum and then the San Francisco bay where she’s throwing those flowers in
one by one.
Part 5
She jumps in the water and Scottie saves her. He takes her back to his place. She’s sleeping, the phone rings. She
wakes up in his bed naked because he was drying her wet clothes; he gives her a red robe. She asks him what she’s
doing there, what happened? He tells her, and then tells her to come over by the fire. She thanks him and he asks her
if she remembers, she said she felt dizzy, she was at one of her favourite spots where she watches the sunset. She
asks him what he was doing there, he says wandering. And what he was doing before, tells her he was at the art
museum. She says she’s never been inside, just drove past. She asks for the pins that were in her hair and her purse.
Tells her his name is John Ferguson, acquaintances call him Scottie. She asks his occupation, he says he wanders
about. He asks her if this has happened before, she says no. His phone rings it’s her husband, and he tells her
Carlotta committed suicide when she was 26. Madeline leaves while he’s on the phone. Midge drives by his house
and sees Madeline leaving in her car, and she asks herself “well Johnny was it fun?”, and drives away.
Part 6
Scottie follows Madeline again. She stops at his place with a thank you note and apology. He asks her where she’s
going, she says to wander. He says he’s going to do the same, so they should go together. They drive to the Sequoia
Forest. He tells her the trees mean always green, ever living. Madeline says she doesn’t like it that means she has to
die. She touches the tree rings and says “I was born around here, and here I died. You took no notice” Scottie asks
her where she is, if she’s been here before. She says no. He says she jumped at the bay, she says no. She says please
don’t ask me. She asks him to promise her not to ask her again. She remembers her dream where there’s a room and
she sits there alone, there’s an open grave and she stands by a gravestone looking down into it, it’s her grave.
There’s a tower and a bell seems to be in Spain. She says she doesn’t want to die. She says don’t let me go, he says
“I got you”, and they kiss.
Part 7
Scottie goes to Midge’s house b/c she left a note under his door b/c he hadn’t picked up her calls. She keeps asking
him what he’s been doing, and he says wandering. She says she’s been painting. He sees a painting of Carlotta with
Midge’s face on it. He gets upset and cancels their movie and dinner. She gets mad at herself and calls herself
stupid. Madeline comes to Scottie’s says she had the dream again. It was a village square, with a blue and white
church with a grey wooden house across the street next to a liberty state. Mission San Juan Bautista. He drives her
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class
Class+