English (Arts)
Course
ENGL 226
Professor
Kait Pinder
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 2: Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson Introduction and Brief Discussion • 19thC poets • connections with the beginnings of American literature ◦ pointing towards the future, what we will be reading later • often brought together in a survey class • very different, kind of extreme on both sides • Whitman is lengthier but offers more to analyze • Dickinson offers enigmatic poems that make it harder to sink your teeth into it for analysis • stark gendered difference between the two ◦ Whitman is white man in America can make stronger statements ◦ Dickinson writes more privately • how to read the dashes in Dickinson poems, because they can mean different things • Whitman offers total view of America, omniscient speaker usually • Whitman was political, a journalist, a nurse during the Civil War • Dickinson was reclusive, living almost all her life in the family home • a bit of narrative to help you place yourself in Whitman's poems • both poets wrote around the Civil War, both from the North East Whitman • 1819-1892 • born in Long Island to Quakers, moved to Brooklyn in 1823 • left school at the age of 11 • journalist and teacher • at 21, stopped teaching, moved to Manhattan for journalism • democrat • political career speaking at dem. rallies and writing for the dem. review • free soil-er, which was a third pol. party that was a single issue party ◦ against the acquisition of more land to be used for slavery, such as colonizing Mexico • 1850s starts work on Leaves of Grass, spent his life editing and revising it ◦ self-published on July 4th, 1855 ◦ setting himself up as the voice of America ◦ minor works of literature are called "grass", and the pages of a book are called "leaves" ▪ hence the ironic pun title, pages of empty poetry ▪ its a revolution in poetry, because Whitman is saying what may be perceived as "grass" or unimportant will become important ◦ title evokes the idea of growth and maturation of America • Ralph Waldo Emerson helps to define Whitman ◦ Leaves of Grass is a response to Emerson poem ◦ Em. wanted an American poet to discuss the bodily abject things usually omitted from poetry ◦ Whitman revolutionized poem by writing an embodied poetry, of the body and about the body, in part b/c Em. said he should ◦ embodied life is just as important as the soul, heaven, and other abstract concepts ◦ Em. wrote letter to Whitman saying he finds Leaves of Grass the most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom, that it has great power, and great power makes him happy ▪ Whitman sent this letter out with his book • Whitman wrote in free verse, revolutionary • transcendentalist and romantic roots ◦ describes a celebratory relationship b/w the individual and the natural world • fired from his job in the Department of the Interior for writing about bodily functions and heterosexual love (inappropriate and obscene) • Song of Myself ◦ at first untitled, then called Poem of Walt Whitman, then Walt Whitman, then in 1881 changed to Song of Myself ◦ change in title makes it applicable to the individual, you become the "I" ◦ the myself is America itself ◦ he claims everything as part of him, but tells people to take their own paths ◦ points to paradoxes of democracy ▪ every vote counts, but the majority rules ▪ conflict between one and many ▪ the person elected represents the people, is an individual who speaks for many ▪ an authority over those he represents, but he is also authorized by them ▪ both in the government and among the governed ▪ both above the people and of the people ◦ conflating the poet, he will become the acknowledged legislator of the world ◦ celebrating the America to come • against slavery on racial and economic lines ◦ Slavery in the South meant ppl could develop an aristocratic state ▪ people working free changed the economy ▪ white people that wanted to work and be payed for it were punished by this system • poetics ◦ free verse ◦ repetition (anaphora, epistrophe, polysyndeton) ▪ anaphora means carrying up or back ▪ i.e. all the lines start with "and" ▪ epistrophe means the repetition of a closing word of phrase at the end of a line ▪ i.e. "of my own" ending twice ▪ polysyndeton means the repetition of several conjunctions, more than you need ◦ catalogue ▪ figures of repetition contribute to the catalogue effect ◦ diction (especially language of accumulat
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 226

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit