English (Arts)
Course
ENGL 226
Professor
Kait Pinder
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 13: Modernism from the Margins Addie Bundren • Darl kind of prophet figure ◦ knows things before others do ◦ knows about pregnancy • in order for him to exist, he has to have his mother and family ◦ unlike the rest of family, he does not have a replacement for his mother ▪ horse ▪ baby ▪ Cash has tools and desire for gramophone ▪ fish and desire for train ▪ teeth and new wife • Addie doesn't like Darl ◦ his birth is unwanted, a surprise out of her control • Darl strongly associated with language (narrates the most), proliferates it ◦ Addie unsatisfied with language ▪ read a tension there • similar ◦ both isolated characters ▪ when she meets Anse, she is an orphan ▪ hated the students she taught, felt isolated ▪ whips them so they will be aware of her ▪ exerts her presence in the world ◦ Cash's birth shows her how alone she is ▪ at first, thinks she hates the schoolchildren violate her too much, demand too much ▪ the realizes she hated the schoolchildren because they hadn't violated her aloneness n ▪ always too outside of her ▪ "I knew that it had been, not that they had dirty noses, but that we had had to use one another by words like spiders dangling by their mouths from a beam, swinging and twisting and never touching, and that only through the blows of the switch could my blood and their blood flow as one stream. I knew that it had been, not that my aloneness had to be violated over and over each day, but that it had never been violated until Cash cam. Not ever by Anse in the nights." (p. 759) ▪ suffer in constant twisting and turning, yet never touch ▪ reads physical contact, especially violence, as a way of touching ▪ bridges the gap between people created by language ▪ violence against schoolchildren ▪ violence of giving birth to another person ▪ what she thoughts was an intrusion on her being was actually her alienation through language • "I would think about his name until after a while I could see the word as a shape, a vessel, and I would watch him liquefy and flow into it like cold molasses flowing out of the darkness into the vessel, until the jar stood full and motionless: a significant shape profoundly without life like an empty door frame; and then I would find that I had forgotten the name of the jar. I would think: The shape of my body where I used to be a virgin is in the shape of a and I couldn't think Anse, couldn't remember Anse. It was not that I could think of myself as no longer unvirgin, because I was three now. And when I would think Cash and Darl that way until their names would die and solidify into a shape and then fade away, I would say, All right. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what they call them. (p.760) ◦ the word like a vessel, the womb like a vessel, but the latter is not word- shaped, leaving a gap ◦ womb brings life ◦ language and words do not carry life like a womb ▪ words are an empty doorframe ▪ stable, unchanging ▪ inability to give life the way a mother gives life ▪ lacked wholeness that is only possible when part of
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 226

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit