ENGL 227 (39)

AMERICAN LIT 11.6.12.pdf

4 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
English (Arts)
ENGL 227
Thomas Heise

6/11/12 The History of Love - Day 1 Background: Nicole Krauss • Novels • The History of Love - Krauss’s second novel • first: A Man Walks into a Room • stylistically similar to Don DeLillo, esp. aspects of the 1970’s • most recent: The Grey House • Awards • Orange Prize for Fiction • worldwide women’s award • National Book Award • one of USA’s three major book awards • other two: National Book Critic’s Circle Award • Pulitzer Prize • Top 20 under 40 from the New Yorker • Jewish-American writers • Krauss a part of this new generation • third generation from the holocaust • must use an almost entirely mediated lens • comes to this generation from stories/grandparents • many subjects are clearly beyond imagination • How can a younger generation of writers relate to these events? Background: Writing in the Holocaust • Theodor Adorno • “Aporetic” • “…a doubt, real or professed, about what to do or say.” “I have no wish to soften the saying that to write lyric poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric; it expresses in negative form the impulse which inspires committed literature.” - Adorno • language can’t express the change of the Holocaust • Krauss, as a third gen. Holocaust writer, is moving at a constant distance away from the event to the time of her writing • idea: literature is impossible in one way but necessary in this culture • there is no writing after the Holocaust that can adequately express the truth - but in that respect, it is necessary to happen Novel Study Setting • Nicole Krauss’s New York • is not multiethnic or multilingual • almost everyone is Jewish • narrowly-focused imagination Character: Leo Gursky • “My heart is weak and unreliable…” - p.10 • comparable to Bill Gray’s typewriter passage • proves that he has a bodily reality • Leo combats extinction by being noticed in a world that wants to ignore him • contrasts Bill Gray, who hasn’t been photographed yet will probably become more famous • if Leo disappears, he is not going to be remembered • “Sometimes when I’m out…” - p. 3 • tries to describe his body type on the phone to the person requesting a nude model; they are not interested • contrasts Brita - who travels to photograph Bill Gray Topic: Leo’s Writing in the Novel • Leo speaks of how unreal the truth can be - and how real fantasy can be • fantasy is a story not unlike the truth • “And because I’d accepted that what I once believed was possible was impossible…” - p. 9 • his writing is urged on by the possibility that no one will read it • by moving through the impossible, one can write about the Holocaust • the embodiment of writing is a way of combating the distance that the Holocaust creates • idea: the impossibleness of fantasy • “There are passages of my book I know by heart. That is not an expression that I use lightly.” - p.10 • signals the resistance to figurative language - but then becomes literal (his physical heart) • speaks of the inadequate nature of language - there is a need to embody language and make it important • attempts to make memories physical in a book that is several generations removed from the Holocaust • there is a gap in the ancestry - passage seeks to make it traceable Films: Comparisons to Crash, Short Cuts, and Magnolia • common theme
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 227

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.