ENGL 316 (31)

Milton 16

1 Page
Unlock Document

McGill University
English (Arts)
ENGL 316
Maggie Kilgour

Oct 22 - the beginning of book 3 is an invocation, but it's much more abstract: he calls down a heavenly light, rather than a woman - Milton has been blind for a long time - he's never even seen his second wife - this is worth thinking about when pondering his description of Eve - book 2 ends in Hell, and book 3 begins in Heaven. this incredible shift from Chaos to Heaven is very quick - there are a lot of parallels between this talk of Heaven and the actuality of what Satan is living. the narrator sounds a lot like him. - this is like a cutscene in film - normally in epic, there's at least a transitional preposition. - this immediate switching invites a close comparison between Heaven and Hell, the narrator and Satan, etc. - this creates a lot of problems, because we start seeing God and the Son and Heaven in light of Satan - at each book, imagine the screenshot that you'd be getting - may I express the unblamed - 10 commandments: don't make a false image of me: Milton may have thought that images of God were bad, as did a lot of Puritans - however, he's a poet, so it's strange that he would condemn images as false - Milton wrote a defense of the regicide, which people claimed was
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 316

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.