ENGL 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Utopia, Israelites, Omnipotence

69 views6 pages

Document Summary

Allows us to see development of religious poetry at the time. Poetry: highly private, though public function. Had it published because he thought it would help others (religious purpose) Spiritual struggles: recorded in his poetry, affliction 1. About herbert becoming a minister, and the difficult transition. Thought serving god and his faith would be simple. Saw the world in a very simple, innocent ways: syntax. Trying to capture a certain naivety / ignorance: something changes in his mentality (lines 28-) As though a sudden change in himself (mood swing) (cid:862)my flesh (cid:271)ega(cid:374) i(cid:374)to (cid:373)y soul(cid:863) Early in the poem believed he was master of the universe, though now believes he is nothing. Very lost, helpless, useless, feels he cannot serve god (cid:862)i (cid:396)ead, a(cid:374)d sigh, a(cid:374)d (cid:449)ish i (cid:449)e(cid:396)e a t(cid:396)ee(cid:863) Again capturing that innocence / looks to the natural world: being a tree is simple, trees also have a clear function / purpose.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers