ENVR 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Centrism, Climate Justice, Nuclear Proliferation

22 views7 pages

Document Summary

Key concepts: value theories, solow"s sustainability paradox, critiques of mainstream environmentalism and wilderness preservation, strong versus weak sustainability, climate justice, environmental justice. Values: nihilism: nothing has any intrinsic value, egoism: i have intrinsic value. No other humans have any value, except possibly instrumental value for promoting my good: anthropocentrism: all humans have intrinsic value. All other animals have only instrumental value for humans, or no value at all: zoo centrism: all animals copy, nihilism copy. I am the only thing that matters, you only have value when it is related to me. Anthropocentrism: humans are removed from the circle of life and put in the center. Cosmic universalism: the awe human should have for everything on earth. Values: ecocentrism: all organisms, species, and ecosystems have irreducible intrinsic copy. Value questions: humans have moral duties and obligations to plants and trees.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers