4 Pages
Winter 2013

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEOG 205
Professor
Gail Chmura

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
April 10th, 2013
you can make your midterm mark worth 10% and the final worth 45%... but you
have to email Drew on the 22nd… (April 22nd @ 10 am)
BUT the final is hard (and cumulative) … similar to the midterm
final consists of: 4 essay questions (40 points); 10 short answer (20 points); 40
multiple choice/true false questions (each other 1 point, 40 points total)
impacts on agriculture (food, fibre, forests around world affects growth)
o elevated CO2
o higher temperatures
o altered precipitation & transpiration regimes
o increased frequency of extreme events
o modified weed, pest & pathogen pressure
what we will talk about:
o increasing levels of carbon dioxide
o availability of water
o changes in temperature
o possible increases in pests
CO2 increases in plants
o referred to as CO2 fertilization effect there is more carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere so plants uptake it easier and therefore grow faster
o it is plant food
o the actual effects are an area of intense complexity, study & uncertainty
o C3 plants: wheat, rice and soya bean show the largest increase
o maize, sorghum, sugar cane, millet & many pasture/forage grasses show
lesser increase
o the difference between these plants are the photosynthesis reactions that
take place, they are slightly different, specifically in terms of enzymes
o including idea of water & nutrient availability, experiments show increases
under unstressed conditions in range of 10-25% for C3
o this doesn’t mitigate climate change because eventually the plants became
saturated in carbon dioxide, so they cannot uptake anymore this is
because there aren’t enough nutrients in the soil such as nitrogen
o impacts are unequal
o there aren’t dramatic decreases regionally in bread baskets, but do see
regional variations with local winners & losers
o see further stress put on areas that already struggle with being self-
sustaining with regard to agricultural yield
o places may experience more extremes
o regions in Southeast Asia which rely on unregulated rivers might be more
susceptible to change
o temperature is the deciding factor here
for cereal crops, potential yields projected to increase for small
increases in temperature but decrease for larger temperature rises

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
th April 10 , 2013  you can make your midterm mark worth 10% and the final worth 45%... but you nd nd have to email Drew on the 22 … (April 22 @ 10 am)  BUT the final is hard (and cumulative) … similar to the midterm  final consists of: 4 essay questions (40 points); 10 short answer (20 points); 40 multiple choice/true false questions (each other 1 point, 40 points total)  impacts on agriculture (food, fibre, forests around world affects growth) o elevated CO2 o higher temperatures o altered precipitation & transpiration regimes o increased frequency of extreme events o modified weed, pest & pathogen pressure  what we will talk about: o increasing levels of carbon dioxide o availability of water o changes in temperature o possible increases in pests  CO 2ncreases in plants o referred to as C2 fertilization effect  there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere so plants uptake it easier and therefore grow faster o it is plant food o the actual effects are an area of intense complexity, study & uncertainty o C3 plants: wheat, rice and soya bean show the largest increase o maize, sorghum, sugar cane, millet & many pasture/forage grasses show lesser increase o the difference between these plants are the photosynthesis reactions that take place, they are slightly different, specifically in terms of enzymes o including idea of water & nutrient availability, experiments show increases under unstressed conditions in range of 10-25% for C3 o this doesn’t mitigate climate change because eventually the plants became saturated in carbon dioxide, so they cannot uptake anymore  this is because there aren’t enough nutrients in the soil such as nitrogen o impacts are unequal o there aren’t dramatic decreases regionally in bread baskets, but do see regional variations with local winners & losers o see further stress put on areas that already struggle with being self- sustaining with regard to agricultural yield o places may experience more extremes o regions in Southeast Asia which rely on unregulated rivers might be more susceptible to change o temperature is the deciding factor here  for cereal crops, potential yields projected to increase for small increases in temperature but decrease for larger temperature rises  in most tropical & subtropical regions, potential yields are projected to decrease for most increases in temperature  due to crops being near maximum temperature tolerance (worse with decreased precipitation)  BUT globally greater than 3C increase could mean decline in both places  relationship to pests o weeds, pests & fungi thrive under warmer temperature, wetter climates & increased CO2 o warm weather pests can star breeding sooner & have more hatches; expand their ranges o there is a disruption of synchrony between pests & predators due to this o increased frequency of pest outbreaks & upheavals which are previously at equilibrium  USA sugar maple o 70% of tree species showing tree range migration in USA o maple trees that produce maple sugar will be moving southward  great Spanish olive migration o Spain produces 46% of world’s olive oil, increased from 28% in 2002 o gain came at expense of Greece & Italy where olives died due to high temperatures and lack of water  baseline for agriculture o effects on agriculture can depend greatly on a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit