Geography
Course
GEOG 210
Professor
Jon Unruh
Semester
Winter

Description
1. Field Study Sustainable Agriculture & Food Security in Mary 3 a. Structure and regulations of agriculture in Cuba b. Field visits to cover sustainable and organic agriculture c. Urban agriculture d. Land use and food security issues e. AGRI 325 f. Assessment: term paper and take home exam g. Cost: $2400 h. [email protected] 2. Flooding a. What is the long flood. Interpretation of images reveals the production of landscape and helps flood preparedness b. Data heavy i. Example: extent of the red river flood 1997 3. Geosphere Image a. Large scale landscapes used to portray global problems such as deforestation and global warming. Understand how the earth responds to certain system changes i. Example: Impact of global warming and Canada 1. Take the next step and figure out what you need to do (good, bad, adapt) 2. In test terms of global warming: IT CAN BE ALL BAD, WE CAN ADAPT, OR IT CAN BE GOOD! a. Know for the test! 4. Land settlement and deforestation in the amazon a. In brazil, an area of biodiversity as well as the people living there suddenly involved in a large scale agricultural process b. In a planned way the truck delivers people to develop the land resulting in putting people on the land (a land title) i. Problem: much more deforestation than originally projected, and huge problem because the people do not believe the system resulting in problems (and what they do, they clear the land, all of it, and claim it). ii. TENURE SECURITY: the right to your land being secure and not subject to outside forces (such as deforestation). c. Very much a human geography problem – space, landscape, and other elements such as feeling of security that drives up the rate of deforestation 5. Landforms – Africa (not deforestation but OIL/WATER) Agriculture in the Sahara a. Landforms in Sahara that might indicate water and oil i. Nubian Sandstone Aquifer: fossil water (does not get replenished) ii. Problem of to use it because it will never be replenished, or never use it because you will never get it again 1. Example picture of 1988/2006 you can totally transform the landscape (but there is an end date because of fossil water) a. Irrigation circles b. Technical Aspects of Africa i. Striping of Images for Africa ii. TOAR Polarsynchronous Orbit (or something like that) iii. The earth moves underneath the satellite, as the satellite moves north to south iv. Construct an image (remote sensing) c. Geosynchronous orbit, for different purposes (parking a satellite) i. Geosynchronous orbit: for a fixed location on earth the satellite returns to exactly the same place in the sky at exactly the same time each day to follow a location ii. Satellite politics d. Horn of Africa i. Vegetation in Horn of Africa (question what we can do with this?) ii. Difficulty with famine and food security iii. We want to PREDICT things, mostly the bad things to prepare. Certain problems (such as famine) is one of those things that we should be able to outgrow. iv. How can we use satellite imagery to help us 1. Ethiopia elevation imagery a. Difficult to move around the country b. Use imagery to find water courses to find the water c. Elevation plus rivers and lakes. Calculation of human vulnerability to drought and flooding d. Food security in the Horn of Africa (FEWS: Famine Emergency Warning System) e. You can only predict 3 months in advance 6. How we look at pieces of geography a. Great deal of information, in layers, to produce maps and answers 7. Specific Feature of the Landscape a. Topographic maps represent earth’s surface in horizontal and vertical dimensions b. Contours connect locations of similar elevation i. Close together: getting higher quickly ii. Farther apart shallow c. Contours also used for other data (temperature, precipitation, vulnerability) d. Air pollution contours i. Isoline maps portray spatial information by connecting points of equal data value. This map shows air pollution in the eastern United States and Canada 1. Take into consideration what you are mapping affects how you interpret the data 2. TRICK QUESTION: WHAT PHENOMENON CAN YOU EASILY PUT INTO ISOLINE MAPS: HEIGHT/ELEVATION, NOT POLLUTION! 8. Map projection matters (the problem of correct distance a. If distance is what we are interested in, you need a specific projection 9. Landscape in Geography can have 10. Countries Shown Proportional to their Populations a. Cartoonish, almost b. Cognitive images – very informative as to how people think about the landscape c. Examples i. Population versus size ii. Cost per min of telephone calls made from the US in 1998 (highly distortional) iii. Spatial structure of the internet, Mbone, the internet multicast backbone that is the most popular way of transmission video and audio stream iv. visualization: data from mobile phone networks can creat maps that show how people are moving around v. MAP IT! total children, women in agriculture, tractors working, secondary education growth, living on little money, primary education spending growth, slum growth 1. Certain data was never met be put into mapping but when you do, you learn certain things 11. Worldwide distribution of Malaria a. As climate changes, are we giving old diseases new landscapes? b. Malaria cases in different forms of transmission c. Simply mapping diseases is a robust field (epidemiology) and where do they
More Less

Related notes for GEOG 210

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit