HIST 249 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Diphtheria, Attenuated Vaccine, Endocrinology

16 views5 pages

Document Summary

Gradual (cid:862)(cid:271)ioligizatio(cid:374)(cid:863) of (cid:373)edi(cid:272)i(cid:374)e; i(cid:374)(cid:272)reasi(cid:374)g do(cid:373)i(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e of (cid:271)asi(cid:272) s(cid:272)ie(cid:374)(cid:272)e: basic understanding of cellular and genetic biology. Growing role of state and demands for health care-health insurance: state is more and more involved in what used to be a private interaction between physicians and patients. Dominance of clinical trails and eventually clinical guidelines. Medical schools and university research institutes: medical faculties judged on their research. National institutes of health (1930 but growth mainly post wwii) Gradual growth of research until 1940 and then huge spurt of new growth (especially by. * by 1960s could talk about bio-medicine (medicine informed by innovation in biological knowledge: us government was on a level of its own insane funding. Most significant advances have to do with controlling infectious diseases. Somewhat less success with chronic diseases like cancer and cardiovascular diseases though research after 1950 increasingly focused on them: not the same game changing solutions they have for infectious diseases.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers