INTD 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Paradigm Shift, International Development, Indigenous Rights

33 views3 pages

Document Summary

Paradigm shift in development - from topp-down to botton-up. Emerging global concerns: environmental degradation, food insecurity, refugee and migration. Tangible/intangible impacts on the poor and marginalized groups b. c. d. What are the barriers that impede good change? iii. Indicators: gdp growth, inequality, standards of living (health), gdp/capita, unemployment rate, Hdi, industrialization, middle class, democracy (liberal values), gender equality, social stability e. Underdevelopment: not just about income and poverty i. Poor infrastructure, deprived living standards, gender discrimination, etc. Critique 1: one size fits all i. ii. iii. Deeply rooted in european enlightenment human progress defined by modernity. Oversimplified binary between bad (traditional society) and good (modern society) Key critique: strong emphasis on catching up with the west. Negative effects of development on the human rights of vulnerable groups. Food insecurity (small-scale farmers and women) i. ii. iii. iv. c. Critique 3: limited institutional capacity of the un. Limited institutional capacity of the united nations in.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers