ISLA 210 Lecture 3: Discussion.Ahmed

1 Page

Department
Islamic Studies
Course Code
ISLA 210
Professor
Malek Abisaab

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Discussion Sept. 27, 2017
1. What was the impact of the political-military organizations of Islamic societies (under the
Umayyad [661-750 and Abbasid dynasties [750-1258]) on gender relations and status of
women?
2. Ahmed argues that because practices that debased women were adopted by the ruling
culture and class, they came to be treated over the centuries, as inherent to Islam and its
message. Explain.
In abbasid society women were conspicuous for their absence from all arenas of the community’s
central affairs. In the records relating to this period they are not to be found, as they were in the
previous era, either on battlefield or in mosques, nor are they described as participants in or key
contributors to the cultural life and productions of their society. Henceforth, women of the elite
and bourgeois classes would live out their lives in seclusion, guarded by eunuchs if wealthy.
My aim here is to draw together the available information on women’s lives in the period
subsequent to the establishment of Islam and to the consolidation of its founding institutions and
the articulation of its dominant discourses. The focus here, geographically and with respect to the
specific time-period, is largely determined by the availability of information. Thus the societies
focused on are primarily those of Egypt, Turkey, and Syria and the sources and research drawn
on relate chiefly to the fifteenth to the early nineteenth centuries (the Mamluk and Ottoman
periods). The lives of women in these regions and periods.
3. Discuss how Islam was perceived by the Qarmatians and the Sufis?
4. How does Ahmed treat the relationship of class and women with reference to the
Mamluks (1250-1517) and the Ottomans (1517-1918)?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Discussion Sept. 27, 2017 1. What was the impact of the political-military organizations of Islamic societies (under the Umayyad [661-750 andAbbasid dynasties [750-1258]) on gender relations and status of women? 2. Ahmed argues that because practices that debased women were adopted by the ruling culture and class, they came to be treated over the centuries, as inherent to Islam and its message. Explain. In abbasid society women were conspicuous for their absence from all arenas of the communitys central affairs. In the records relating to this period they are not to be found, as they were in the previous era, either on battlefield or in mosques, nor are they described as participants in or key contributors to the cultural life and productions of their society. Henceforth, women of the elite and bourgeois classes would liv
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit