- we build our structure as we go
- back to marxisms
- modify semantics without modifying syntax: how can we do this?
- violation paradigm: present a word that does not fid semantically (he spread the warm bread with
- there's an N400 ERP at socks, but not if it's replaced by butter
- remember: this is a negative deflection at 300-350 ms post stimulus, which peaks at 400
- negative is represented with upwards -> remember this
- there's a modulation for the effect depending on how predictible the word is
- N400 is not affected by syntactic violations
- Broca's and Wernicke's aphasiacs show robust N400 effects
- not dependent on these areas, per se, but dependent on the left temporal lobe (as per patients with
left temporal lobe epilepsy)
- no name for MEG component generated yet (N400 = ERP anomaly contrast)
- dose the N400 really represent what they say it does?
- integration view vs. lexical view
- lexical: it may not be easy to access the words, it really doesn't have to do