MGCR 211 (108)

MGCR 211 Chapter 6.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Management Core
MGCR 211
Karen Zajdman- Borden

MGCR 211 Chapter 6 2272012 71500 AM I Accounts ReceivableA Amounts to be collected resulting from a sale on credit nd1 AR is usually the 2 largest asset on the balance sheet B Will the whole amount be collected Probably not 1 Cash flow problems bankruptcy unsatisfied may want to return goods unsatisfied may not want to pay full amount 2 How to prevent these problems a Credit check i Not too tight that we lose sales but cant be too loose that we sell to dead beats C Estimating accounts receivables 1 We do not want to overstate the AR so we need to write down AR to the net realizable value a NRV the net amount we expect to collect 2 Aged Accounts Receivable Listing a NameAmountCurrent130 3160 613 Estimating uncollectable a After careful review the manager estimates the amount uncollectable no one particular amountb To record it we need to make contra accountAllowance for doubtful accounts AFDA c Dr Bad debt expense5000 d Cr Allowance for doubtful accounts5000 D Contra account AFDA 1 AFDA Allowance for doubtful accounts 2 Contra account to the accounts receivable 3 Methods for estimating uncollectible amounts a Percentage of sales income statement method i Use a percentage of sales and add amount to the AFDA ending balance b Percentage of receivables balance sheet method i Use a percentage of AR for the total amount of the AFDA ending balance c Aging of accounts receivableiE To write off accounts
More Less

Related notes for MGCR 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.