MUAR 392 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: The Soul Stirrers, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett

40 views2 pages

Document Summary

James brown: at the churches there were lots of singing and hand-clapping and usually an organ and tambourines wanted to base his sound around this . Aretha franklin: most of what i learned vocally came from her father who gave her a sense of timing in music . Soul stirrers with sam cooke how farm am i from canaan? (1952) Ray charles what"d i say (1959) Condensed simulation of an african american holiness religious service whoops, cries, bent notes, melismas and shouts, engaging in call-and-response patterns with either horns or a female backup trio. Often changed the words from sacred and secular texts to his own lyrics. Otis redding i"ve been loving you too long (1965) Relatively slow tempo, triplet subdivisions, often articulated in piano or guitar arpeggios. Sliding through a pitch is very expressive builds a tension starting below the note and sliding upwards. Wilson pickett in the midnight hour (1965) Modeled on brill building mainstream american entertainment practices.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers