MUAR 392 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Joni Mitchell, Carole King

19 views2 pages
MUAR 392
Lecture 15 ā€” Feb 17
Singer-Songwriters
Carole King ā€” ā€œWill You Still Love Me Tomorrow?ā€
-Original recording by The Shirelles
-Recorded by Carole King on Tapestry (1971)
-It was Gerry Goffman who wrote it ā€” Carole King wrote the music and her husband wrote the
song
-Questions whether this is a girl group song, or singer-songwriter? Questions the true
meaning of the lyrics
Is ā€œsinger-songwriterā€ a genre or a practise?
-Both a genre and a practise
Songwriter/ Troubadour
-Image of the folk troubadour became aligned with the singer-songwriter ā€” solo musician
equipped with piano or guitar
-While piano was signiļ¬cant, the guitar was iconic and linked to folk revival of the 1960s
-Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits ā€” all played and wrote songs for piano
What deļ¬nes this genre:
-Singer is talking about herself ā€” whether or not it is an exact experience, she is using
personal pronouns (I, Youā€¦)
-Universal concepts of emotion
-Listeners can read themselves into this situation and connect as though it is their own
experience
-Sense of connection, sharing of experiences
-Different kinds of chords ā€” use of alternate tunings to make their own sounds just by tuning
the guitar another way
Aesthetic of the Genre:
-Typically acoustic intruments, and often just played by the main artist
-Technical proļ¬ciency on the instrument evident in precision and detail rather than showy
-Lyric heavy songs ā€” may have a chorus or refrain but often series of verses
-Melody often stretched over wider vocal range other than folk or pop
-Sense of intimacy in performance ā€” could be performed without technology sense of
speaking to the listener
-Most artist in this style explored other sounds including string, rhythm sections, hornsā€¦
Art and the Industry
-Promoting singer-songwriter music part of a new move in the industry that focused on LPs
-Shared a sense of seriousness with rock music
-Audience base was young, but not teeny-boppers ā€” more like college students age
-Mass market feeling of the intimate, autobiographical music ā€” question of how to maintain a
feeling of authenticity
Gender and Genre
-The singer-songwriter as an artistic category emerged in the same period that rock was
consolidated as a genre distinct form rock n roll and with serious artistic value
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Carole king will you still love me tomorrow? . Recorded by carole king on tapestry (1971) It was gerry goffman who wrote it carole king wrote the music and her husband wrote the song. Image of the folk troubadour became aligned with the singer-songwriter solo musician equipped with piano or guitar. While piano was signi cant, the guitar was iconic and linked to folk revival of the 1960s. Carole king, joni mitchell, tom waits all played and wrote songs for piano. Singer is talking about herself whether or not it is an exact experience, she is using personal pronouns (i, you ) Listeners can read themselves into this situation and connect as though it is their own experience. Different kinds of chords use of alternate tunings to make their own sounds just by tuning the guitar another way. Typically acoustic intruments, and often just played by the main artist.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers