MUAR 211 (182)

January 21 - Late Baroque Instrumental Music.pdf

20 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Music-Arts Faculty
MUAR 211
Eric Smialek

Please save your questions until after class and I’ll be happy to answer them.  Housekeeping • PDFs of lecture slides available • Readings added to the syllabus – pp. 32–41 (Fundamentals: harmony, texture, tonality and mode, musical form) • Frescobaldi dates added th • Bach suite for Jan. 30 changed • Vivaldi listenings corrected Housekeeping • Review: – Monteverdi,The Coronation of Poppea DVD clip – Frescobaldi, Passacaglia from the Dance Suite • Introduction to the Solo Concerto and Concerto Grosso – Vivaldi, Violin Concerto in G, Lastravaganza, Op. 4, No. 12 (1712–1713), movements I and II Frescobaldi Passacaglia • Homework: pick out at least one thing that surprised you and that you would listen for a second time. • Post it on the Discussion section ofmyCourses. • Include a timing from the track (e.g. 1:09–1:15). • Include a description using vocabulary from class. T ools for Large-Scale Composing • Problem: You are an early Baroque composer . Your patron can’t get enough of music for instruments. You want to create significant, longer compositions without relying on short, dance-like music. What do you do? – self-contained movements with some kind of several variety in mood, tempo, meter, musical form,,key etc. Tools for Large-Scale Composing • Repetition, variation, contrast, returning material, and imitation are all ways of creating substantial, extended compositions. • The late Baroque is filled with larger-scale musical works that use these techniques. Annotating Musical Form • Exact repetition (repetition): – A A or |: A :| • Varied repetition (variation): – A Aʹ Aʺ, etc. • Entirely new music (contrast): – A B • When music returns after contrast (return) – A B A Annotating Musical Form • To show smaller details, lowercase is used: – a aʹ occurs within a single sectiBnfor instance The Meaning of Concerto • Concertare (Latin): to contend/to contrast. • Concertare (It.): to coordinate/unite a diverse group of players/singers in a harmonious ensemble. – e.g. stringed instruments with and without frets, keyboard instruments, brass instruments with and without slides, woodwind instruments. – each of these would have been tuned differently. Late Baroque Concerto • Typically, a late Baroque concerto has three movements: – I. Bright, extroverted, fast tempo – II. Contrasted: quieter, slower, more expressive – III. Fast again, sometimes faster than the first • Vivaldi’s Concerto In G, La stravaganza [“Extravagance”], has three movements that follow this pattern: – I. Spirituoso e non presto – II. Largo – III. Allegro Late Baroque Concerto • The three movements use two musical forms, typical of the late Baroque: – Movement 1: ritornello form – Movement 2: ground bass form/variation form (cf. passacaglia) – Movement 3:
More Less

Related notes for MUAR 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.