NUR1 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Normal Space, Peritoneum, Nephrotoxicity

38 views5 pages

Document Summary

Function of the kidneys is regulating the volume and composition of extracellular fluid. Additionally, the kidneys assist in the control of bp, erythropoietin production, vitamin d activation, and acid-(cid:271)ase regulatio(cid:374). The kid(cid:374)eys se(cid:272)rete dietary a(cid:374)d (cid:449)aste produ(cid:272)ts that are(cid:374)"t eli(cid:373)i(cid:374)ated (cid:271)y other organs through the formation of urine. Urine is formed within the kidneys, drains to the ureters, then to the bladder, and out of the body through the urethra. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone systemis a regulatory mechanism that helps the body control vascular fluid volume, bp, and serum sodium concentrations. When the kidneys receive a signal of low. Bp, low renal blood flow, or low serum sodium concentration: sensed by the juxtaglomerular apparatus, which then secretes renin. When renin encounters angiotensinogen, it acts as an enzyme that promotes the conversion of angiotensinogen into angiotensin i. In the lungs, angiotensin i encounters angiotensin-converting enzyme and is converted from angiotensin i to angiotensin ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers