PHGY 210- Lecture 8- Dr. Lauzon.docx.docx

4 Pages

Department
Physiology
Course Code
PHGY 210
Professor
Ann Wechsler

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture Eight- Wednesday, January 20th, 2010
I. Spirometry: Measuring lung volumes
-Spirometer: upside down canister floating in water
-All the air in the lungs=total lung capacity
-Spirometer can measure only what you can breathe in and out. However, total lung
capacity cannot be measured because you’re not breathing out residual volume
-Clinically, it is useful to be able to measure the volume of air inhaled during
inspiration under a number of different circumstances. Subdivisions of the lung
volumes can be determined by means of a spirometer (Figure 8): a spirometer
measures volumes of inhaled or exhaled gas, so can be used to measure tidal
volume, vital capacity, inspiratory capacity, expiratory reserve volume, and
inspiratory reserve volume (Figures 8 & 9). It cannot be used to measure functional
residual capacity, total lung capacity, or residual volume.
see pictures in slides
J. Measurement of FRC
-Helium dilution technique: subject hooked up to a spirometer, helium is in the tube
(dissolved in air). Subject breathes out to FRC, that’s when valve is opened up and
subject breathes helium. Can use mass spectrometer to measure new [helium] which
is lower, because it is now over a larger volume (C2). V2=V1+FRC.
FRC can be measured by helium dilution (Figure 10). Let C1 be the helium
concentration in a spirometer of volume V1 and let the subject breath out to FRC.
Then, open the valve and ask the subject to breath in and out from the spirometer.
After equilibration with the subject's lungs, the concentration in the spirometer is C2.
Since the total amount of helium is conserved, we have:
C1 x V1 = C2 x (V1 + FRC)
so that:
FRC = (C1 x V1 / C2) - V1
*Note: Think of the lung as a balloon not as a jar.
see picture in slides
II VENTILATION
A. Minute ventilation vs Alveolar ventilation
The amount of air inspired into the lungs over some period of time is called
ventilation. Usually, it is measured for one minute, and therefore we call it minute
ventilation (VE). Therefore, VE is the amount of air inspired (or expired) during one
minute:
dot on top of VE-> VE = VT x f (tidal volume x frequency<-# of breaths/minute)
where VT is the tidal volume, and f is the number of breaths per minute. (A dot
above a symbol means a change with respect to time).
In a normal adult male, VT = 500ml, and f =12 breaths/minute. Therefore, VE =
6000ml/min. However, not all the air inhaled into the lungs reaches the gas
exchanging area (the respiratory zone). Some of the air remains in the conducting
airways, i.e. in the anatomical dead space (VD) (Figure 12). The volume of the

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
thLecture Eight Wednesday January 20 2010I Spirometry Measuring lung volumes Spirometer upside down canister floating in water All the air in the lungstotal lung capacity Spirometer can measure only what you can breathe in and out However total lung capacity cannot be measured because youre not breathing out residual volume Clinically it is useful to be able to measure the volume of air inhaled during inspiration under a number of different circumstances Subdivisions of the lung volumes can be determined by means of a spirometer Figure 8 a spirometer measures volumes of inhaled or exhaled gas so can be used to measure tidal volume vital capacity inspiratory capacity expiratory reserve volume and inspiratory reserve volume Figures 89 It cannot be used to measure functional residual capacity total lung capacity or residual volumesee pictures in slidesJ Measurement of FRC Helium dilution technique subject hooked up to a spirometer helium is in the tube dissolved in air Subject breathes out to FRC thats when valve is opened up and subject breathes helium Can use mass spectrometer to measure new helium which is lower because it is now over a larger volume C2 V2V1FRC FRC can be measured by helium dilution Figure 10 Let C1 be the helium concentration in a spirometer of volume V1 and let the subject breath out to FRC Then open the valve and ask the subject to breath in and out from the spirometer After equilibration with the subjects lungs the concentration in the spirometer is C2 Since the total amount of helium is conserved we have C1 x V1C2 x V1FRCso thatFRCC1 x V1C2V1Note Think of the lung as a balloon not as a jar see picture in slidesIIVENTILATION A Minute ventilation vs Alveolar ventilationThe amount of air inspired into the lungs over some period of time is called ventilation Usually it is measured for one minute and therefore we call it minute ventilation VE Therefore VE is the amount of air inspired or expired during one minutedot on top of VE VEVT x ftidal volume x frequency of breathsminute where VT is the tidal volume and f is the number of breaths per minute A dot above a symbol means a change with respect to time In a normal adult male VT500ml and f 12 breathsminute Therefore VE6000mlmin However not all the air inhaled into the lungs reaches the gas exchanging area the respiratory zone Some of the air remains in the conducting airways ie in the anatomical dead space VD Figure 12 The volume of the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit