Philosophy (430)
PHIL 242 (74)

Cudd&Jones and Frye.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PHIL 242
Zoli Filotas

PHIL 242 - “Sexism” The Problem - sexism is globally clear, overall there is a big problem - in every day lives, it is not as clear - this leads to various problems - (1) identifying and understanding sexism (metaphysical, epistemetical problem) - (2) persuading others that it’s a problem (political, rhetorical problem) - the big picture is that women live lesser lives than men - Bodily considerations: not getting enough food, getting sick - Others: ** - an argument that sexism exists - 1. Women live lesser lives than men - 2. This must be one of two reasons: - Either it is natural result of the way they are - Or are systematically disadvantaged by society - 3. It’s not a natural result of the way they are - It must be because they are systematically disadvantaged - What kind of causes could have this effect? - “Sexism can be seen as a force responding **” Three Levels of Sexism - institutional sexism: built into both the explicit rules and implicit norms of large communities (e.g. Catholic Church, family, language, etc.) - interpersonal: in casual interactions in small groups of people (who talks more? how are disagreements settled? who gets what kind of attention?) - unconscious: in the minds of individuals clearly exist when people make decisions that aren’t justified by reasonable assessment of available evidence - conscious sexism is not mentioned in the article but it does exist - a lot of sexism but not a lot of people who think of themselves as sexist - the issue is that with religion, cultural norms, etc. we pass down sexist actions - intrinsic sexism: “I don’t like women and I don’t want any to work here.” - extrinsic sexism: “I love women, I just don’t think they’re suited for the job.” - extrinsic individuated sexism: “I love women, and I think that women are suited to this job. But this female candidate isn’t right for the job (and neither is that one, or that one...).” - the three levels of discrimination are both causes and effects of sexism - sexism is systematic - definition important to explain the wide range of effects and the difficulty in identifying the cause Objections - essentialism says that there are real biological differences - reply: - the scientific evidence differences in abilities is not solid and it belongs to a very nasty and unreliable tradition - scientific
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 242

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.