Philosophy (430)
PHIL 367 (23)

PHIL 367 - Lecture (Jan. 23rd)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PHIL 367
Susan Judith Hoffmann

rdJanuary 23Question In what way does Fichte suggest that we choose the I as free and not take the route of dogmatism In what way can we think of ourselves as determining natureReason pushes us towards transcedental idealism Reason says that it does not make sense to think of the self as a thing in itself as a neumenal being Argument there is a stage in the Vocations dialectical scepticism that the thing in itself is a thoughtnothing to point to The I must be something free In the beginning there was action thought is the act of creation The human being is active and its essence is to strive an agency Therefore to say I is normative one must be moral Yet one cannot force people to accept this doctrine Therefore it depends on a persons relation with this philosophy Fichte notes that many philosophies fall into an infinite regress Fichte recognizes that it is impossible to begin a philosophy without presuppositions for humans cannot obtain a Gods eye view of the world As it is impossible to begin without presuppositions the nature of ones philosophy therefore depends on the presuppositions that one holds in the beginning Fichte believes that transcendental idealism provides a more satisfying answer to his presuppositions
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 367

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.