Physics (299)
PHYS 101 (41)

Chapter 12 - Sound.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PHYS 101
Kenneth Ragan

Chapter 12 – Sound 12.1 – Characteristics of Sound: Loudness: is related to the intensity (energy per unit time crossing unit area_ in the sound wave Pitch: refers to whether the sound is high (i.e., piccolo or violin) or low (i.e., bass drum or string bass)  The physical quantity that determines pitch is the frequency  The lower the frequency, the lower the pitch Audible Range: frequencies from 20 Hz to 20, 000 Hz (human ear)  Frequencies above 20, 000 Hz are called ultrasonic  Frequencies below 20 Hz are called infrasonic (i.e., thunder, volcanoes) Sound waves are longitudinal waves, also known as pressure waves. 12.2 – Intensity of Sound: Decibels: Intensity of a Wave: the energy transported by a wave per unit time across a unit area perpendicular to the energy flow 12  Human range of intensity = spanning a factor of 10 from lowest to highest Sound Level: specified on a logarithmic scale  1 bel = 10 dB  x2 loundness = x10 intensity 𝐼 𝑝 𝛽 𝑖𝑛 𝑑𝐵 = 10log OR 𝛽 𝑖𝑛 𝑑𝐵 = 20log 𝐼0⬚ 𝑝0 I0= 1.0 x 10-12W/m 2 Example: If an increase in 3dB means "twice as intense" what does an increase of 6dB mean? 3dB = 10 0.= ~2 6db = 10 0.= ~4 Intensity Related to Amplitude: intensity I of a wave is proportional to the square of the wave amplitude A Chapter 12 – Sound 12.3 – The Ear and Its Response; Loudness The function of the ear is to transform the vibrational energy of waves into electrical signals, which are carried to the brain by way of nerves. Loudness Level: the number labeling each curve represents (units are called phons) which is numerically equal to the sound level in dB at 1000 Hz Threshold of hearing: the softest sound that is just audible by a very good ear  Most sensitive to sounds of frequencies between 2000 and 4000 Hz Threshold of pain: sounds above this level can actually be felt and cause pain (> 120 phons) Example #2: If you double your distance from a source of sound that is radiating freely in all direction, how does the intensity that you hear change? By how many dB does the sound level change? I=P/4𝜋r2 1. Double the distance, therefore doubles the radius 2. Distance is ¼ the Intensity 3. Therefore, if you double the distance, the intensity will increase by ½ 12.4 – Sources of Sound: Vibrating Strings and Air Columns The source of any sound is a vibrating object. Stringed Instruments: standing waves are the basis for all stringed instruments  Pitch is normally determined by the lowest resonant frequency (t
More Less

Related notes for PHYS 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.