Physics
Course
PHYS 102
Professor
Zaven Altounian
Semester
Winter

Description
Phys 102 Alanna Houston January 24, 2008 DIRECT ELECTRIC CURRENT Conductors / Metals: - In metals, the valence electrons are very weakly attached to their parent atoms - These electrons can be considered to be “free” - If an electric field is applied, the free electrons will move in the direction of the force applied on them. - - The electric current is the rate of flow of charge across a surface - - The direction of the electric current is defined as the direction of movement of a positive charge Electron Drift Velocity: - Electrons have thermal energy. For free electrons, this energy is transformed into kinetic energy. Typically, the free electrons acquire speeds of the order of 10^6 m/s. - But the directions of the velocities are random i.e. no net movement of the charges - When an electric field is applied, the free electrons move in a direction opposite to the electric field with velocities of the order of 10^-3 m/s. This is the electron drift velocity - Electrical Resistance: - The larger the potential difference, the larger the current inside the conductor Phys 102 Alanna Houston - - - Measured in Ohms (V/A) - Meaning of resistance: for a given voltage, a larger R will produce a smaller current - How to measure V and I: - Voltmeter (analog or digital) or a CRO can measure the voltage across a resistor - The voltmeter must be connected in parallel with the resistor - - Ammeter (analog or digital) is used to measure the current passing through the resistor
More Less

Related notes for PHYS 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit