Physics
Course
PHYS 183
Professor
Tracy Webb
Semester
Winter

Description
th Lecture 5: January 16 , 2013 o Johannes Kepler (German, 1571-1630)  Kepler’s three laws: new mathematical descriptions of the universe  Tycho’s assistant at Uraniborg Observatory  after Tycho’s death he devoted his life to mathematically describing the data  one of the first true theoreticians  circular orbits resulted in a small discrepancy with the data  saw discrepancy between Copernican model and the planets moving (8 minutes of an arch which is ¼ size of the moon)  “If I had believed that we could ignore these eight minutes of arc, I would have patched up my hypothesis accordingly. But, since it was not permissible to ignore, those eight minutes pointed the road to a complete reformation of astronomy”  3 laws of motion  planets move in ellipses (not circles)  planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one focus & nothing at the other focus o minor axis is the short side of the ellipse, major axis is the long side o eccentricity describes how much an ellipse deviates from o sun-planet distance varies during its orbit  not a source of seasons 
More Less

Related notes for PHYS 183

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit