POLI 212 (226)

States Lecture

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Political Science
POLI 212
Hudson Meadwell

POLI 212 I. The ways states emerge as a consequence of regime change a. State collapse i. The way in which new states emerge 1. The states that emerge tend to be states that are connected to nations a. Organizational form that emerges: nation-states b. States: a response to anarchy & state collapse i. As states begin to weaken and collapse in the Soviet Union, there is a situation of emerging anarchy 1. No longer a central authority 2. Conducive to the importance of self-preservation 3. States are territorial safe havens b. When states emerge, they’re not necessarily homogenous i. New states will form with minority populations 1. Difficult to write a constitution when there is more than one nation in the state a. There must be shared power amongst sub state nations b. Two nations: A majority and a minority i. How to persuade the minority population that any guarantees you grant in the constitution will be upheld (Credible commitment) 1. Make promise not to exploit/weaken/challenge minority rights ii. State still in process o f being consolidated II. Czechoslovakia a. Mishear & Claus i. They are tasked with writing a new constitution 1. Possibility that they won’ succeed and that they may fail 2. Negotiations do produce secession ii. The Czechs pushed the Slovaks out 1. Mishear was outmaneuvered in the trades 2. What were the incentives and motives that lead Claus to accept or engineer the separate of Czechoslovakia a. As concerned as much about the economic transition and political transition 3. Goal of moving towards entering the European Union iii. Liberal obstacle to overcome 1. The Slovak economy was an economic structure to privatize POLI 212 a. Important parts of the Slovak economy divested in military and arms 2. Secession of the center 3. Breakaway population that uses force to secede a. Slovak enclave in an independent Czech b. No Equivalent in the Czech lands c. Partition rather than secession III. Yugoslavia a. How it broke apart b. June 25 199 i. Full-scale war within Croatia c. Post-war history of peace i. War occurs very quickly ii. Minority population like this has the incentive to use force to extricate itself from the situation its in 1. Use force sooner rather than late 2. Helps explain why you get violence after the declaration of independence rather than before iii. There was nothing that the Croatian state could do to commit itself no
More Less

Related notes for POLI 212

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.