Rex Brynen (112)

9 - The Politics of Cultural Pluralism.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Political Science
POLI 227
Rex Brynen

The Politics of Cultural PluralismTerminologyEthnocultural markers o Nationality o RaceTroubling to define scientificallyIn South Africa they had tests if it was questionablevery defined pencil test o Religion o Tribeo Language Varying terminology ethnicity communalism sectarianism minorities etcEthnicity as a social construct o Theyre a group because they think theyre a group Eg Palestinians and Israelis are very close genetically o a group of people united by a common error in their ancestory and a common dislike of their neighbor Cultural PluralismCountries vary widely in terms of ethnic religious or other cultural pluralism IraqPopulation potentially divided along religious and ethnic lines o Sunni muslimShiite muslim arabKurdish o Split based on regions Baghdad is mixed o 60 is arab Shiite 20 is arab sunni 20 kurd mostly sunni but identify in KurdishPolitical effects o Severe repressive order w Saddam Hussein o Kurdish selfgovernment post 1991 felt displaced because Iraq identified as arab Under protection of US no fly zone able to attain autonomy o Sectarian violence following US intervention in 2003 o 2005 constitutionquasidemocratic quasifederal slightly consociational political system o Continued ethnosectarian tensionsSunnishiite arabkurd territorialNo evidence of Saddam Hussein ever mentioning Sunnis and Shiites he thought it terms of whos for me and whos against me o More regional bias rather than religious
More Less

Related notes for POLI 227

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.