Political Science
Course
POLI 232
Professor
Catherine Lu
Semester
Fall

Description
Camila Ortiz de Zevallos Two Concepts of Liberty: • 2 systems of ideas which arrive to different and conflicting answers to what has long been the  central question of politics →  the question of obedience and coercion: why should I obey anyone  else? Why should I not live as I like? Must I obey? If I disobey will I be coerced? By whom, to  what degree, in the name of what and for the sake of what?  • To coerce a man: to deprive him from his freedom → two views of freedom: o  Negative freedom:  political sense of freedom. Involved in the question: what is the area  within the subject is or should be left to do or be as he is able to, without external  interferences? o  Positive freedom:  involved in the question →   what or who is the source of control or  interference that can determine someone to do or be one thing rather than other? • Negative freedom:  o Political liberty is the area within which a man can act unobstructed by others. The wider  the non­interference area, the wider the freedom. If I am prevented by others to do  something that I could otherwise do, I am un­free, and if that area is restricted by other  men, I am being coerced →  coercion implies the deliberate interference of other human  beings within the area in which I could otherwise act. Mere incapacity to attain a goal  (such as poverty, disabilities, sickness, etc.), is not a lack of political freedom.   o We must preserve a minimum area of personal freedom if we are not to degrade or deny  our nature. We cannot remain absolutely free, and must give up some of our liberty to  preserve the rest. →  What must this minimum be? o Liberty in the sense of negative freedom means liberty from → absence of interference  beyond the shifting frontier. o 3 facts about this notion of liberty: 1. Coercion is bad as such although it may have been applied to prevent other  greater evils, while non­interference (the opposite of coercion) is good. Men  should seek to discover the truth or to develop some kind of character such that  truth can be found and that character can be bred →only in conditions of  freedom.  2. The doctrine is comparatively modern. 3.  Liberty in this sense is not incompatible with some kinds of autocracy, or at any  rate with the absence of self­government. → thus, liberty in this sense is  concerned with the area of control and not with its source. → freedom in this  sense is not connected with democracy or self government. Self government  may provide better guarantee of the preservation of civil liberties than in other  regimes, but there is no necessary connection between individual liberty and  democratic rule.  • Positive freedom: the positive sense of liberty comes from the wishes of men to be their own  masters.  o I wish my life and decisions to depend on myself and not on external forces of whatever  kind. I wish to be the instrument of my own and not of other men’s act of wills, wish to  be a subject, not an object, moved by my reasons. o I am rational and that is my reason that distinguishes me as a human being from the rest  of the world. I wish, above all, to
More Less

Related notes for POLI 232

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit