Political Science
Course
POLI 244
Professor
Jason Scott Ferrell
Semester
Fall

Description
Highlights of Constructivism Lectures Constructivism:  Social constructivists regard society as understood in sociology, as a set of social norms about what is appropriate behavior. This adds order, but of a very different kind.  For constructivists, norms are not just a rationalization of selfish behavior as in realism, or a tool for setting standards that allow mutually beneficial cooperative behavior as in liberalism.  States define their interests on the basis of what is socially appropriate, on what is considered right and wrong.  Norms are not a means to an ends. They define what are ends are in the first place.  Norms constitute interests.  Society is about self-restraint in deference to collective goal. There are certain things that we simply cannot do. And certain things we must.  Social norms are intersubjective, that is they are shared among actors, whether they be individuals or states.  Society provides the function of defining appropriate behavior by providing identities. We ask ourselves not so much what do I need to do to get what I want, but rather what is the appropriate thing for me to want and do given who I am.  We acquire our identities through a process of interaction with others in which we figure out what is expected of us. This is called socialization. It is generally a process of imitation.  And states are no different. They mimic one another. So constructivism often foresees a process of convergence among states.  Construction: It means we make the societies we live in, either domestically or internationally. Nothing has to be the way it is.  That is the norms that make up society do not have
More Less

Related notes for POLI 244

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit