Political Science
Course
POLI 244
Professor
Jason Scott Ferrell
Semester
Fall

Description
Oct 3rd POLI 244  Constructivism o Society is defined by a set of norms. o Identity formation through socialization and imitation. Think about how this compares to the tit-for-tat problem/prisoners dilemma (this is a game with strategic calculations, whereas socialization is not). How would this explain the advent of nuclear weapons and their spread?*Exam Q  Realist would say: security dilemma, I get weapons, you get weapons, I get more, you get more…  Liberalism would say: Weapons create a situation of parody between nations and this would work as an incentive to co-operate.  Constructivism would say: weapons become a norm, there is a shared understanding of what defines a powerful nation and nuclear weapons become symbolic of a state’s status. They are all just copying each other/imitation. (which may be a vast oversimplification, but that is constructivism)  Problem when people do not copy each other o Legitimacy and cooperation:  International organizations: non state actors that can shape the system and lead states to act in a certain way.  They consider an enforcement mechanism that is voluntary. Legitimacy explains the durability of international institutions  Managerial school of constructionism try to explain issues of defection.  (Problem: set of shared norms that we all agree on, yet clearly there
More Less

Related notes for POLI 244

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit