Lecture: The Revolution and Egyptian Foreign Policy

2 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLI 341
Professor
Julie Norman

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Lecture: The Revolution and Egyptian Foreign Policy January 24, 2013 In the news this week • H. Clinton testified on the Benghazi consulate attack • Israeli elections proceeded, though some say they were rigged The Egyptian Regime's Foreign Policy Approach • maintain close ties with US and Israel • push the peace process between Israel and Palestine The Revolution of 2011 • concerns about how it would affect foreign policy if Mubarak was deposed The Rulers of Egypt Since the Revolution • democratically elected president • did not drastically change FP • lost control of Ruffa border crossing by Gaza The Nature of the Egyptian Regime • FP has not changed because the institutions that govern Egypt are well entrenched • the most important of which is the Egyptian military • it has a lot of influence and privileges ◦ i.e. if there is an unowned piece of land, it is by default owned by the military ◦ i.e. the military produces silverware, dairy and chemical products ◦ i.e. it has plenty of social clubs for members of the armed forces • enjoys both economic and political privilege • advocates maintaining ties with the US ◦ gets military and economic assistance from US The Relationship Between the State and Egypt's Political Parties • the relationship between the M
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit