Lecture: Inter-State Relations--Cooperation and Regionalism
In the news this week
• new protests and unrest in Egypt
• increasing evidence mounting in Syrian war crime with bodies of missing
• Middle East as a single unit, or set of distinct parts (states)?
• How and why do states cooperate?
• How has cooperation contributed to regional order?
• Why is cooperation in the Middle East limited?
• Effect of Arab Spring on regional cooperation
International Relations: Why do states cooperate?
• Realism/Neorealism--state interest
◦ securing/consolidating position (Waltz)
◦ balancing against power/threat of others (Walt)
◦ (regional) hegemons? (Mearsheimer; Nye)
▪ mostly Egypt, though Syria has dabbled
◦ shared experiences, norms, values, identity (Barnett)
◦ shared interests --> interdependence (Keohane)
◦ institutions, cooperation (Finnemore)
◦ core-periphery (Wallerstein; Hinnebusch)
How do state cooperate?
◦ Engagement to promote common interests
◦ Cooperation vs. Interdependence
◦ union or pact to secure mutual interests
◦ actors coordinate strategy/po