POLI 342 (17)

Regional Relations

2 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Political Science
POLI 342
Imad Mansour

Foreign Policy of the ME Imad Mansour March 8, 2010 Regional Relations Turkish-Israeli Relations ●Strategic Parentership (1996) (in reality it is an alliance) ●benefits of the partnership: economic weapons systems, creating a regional security block ●Turkey knew that its access to both the Tigres and Euphrates would give it a pressure dimension on Israel and the other ME countries ●Israel’s interest is also significant, thought that it would be able to use the labor in Turkey and combine it with capital w/money from Israel-- Turkey has the potential to be a productive base and consuming base for Israeli products ●Israel wanted to demonstrate that it is a reliable military ally that can deliver training systems/potential, important for Turkey-- can benefit from the military transfers because it looks like it is an asset for NATO ●at the end of the USSR-- military arms were not being kept track of very well, also thinking about Turkey as an access to Central Asian republic ●Israel also saw Turkey as a potential entry point for Central Asian market, was willing to open up new economic channels (focusing not only on the military dimension) ●(Turkey had drawn up various plans to share water w/several complicated pipelines, create a region where the states are asymmetrically dependent) ●Timing/ Signing methods ●alliance was signed behind the back of major government officials who would have opposed such an agreement ●created as a de-facto reality in Turkish FP ●the degree to which the treaty would be implemented is still contested to this day ●the same tensions that drove the nuances and distinctions of policy in the ME also drove the Turkish-Israeli relationship ●Consequences ●allowed Turkey to use more force on the Kurdish militants-- new intelligence from Israeli sources, new training from personnel ●encircled Syria-- reduced its FP tools and challenged alliance w/Iran, Syria was lying in the pincer b/w both Israel and Turkey, put pressure on Syria to look for alliances elsewhere ●not only was PKK under more attacks by Turkish forces, alliance allowed them to send very strong signals to Syria Syrian-Turkish 1998 crisis ●causes of the crisis ●Turkey escalat
More Less

Related notes for POLI 342

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.