POLI 212 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Tactical Voting, Proportional Representation, Ballot

87 views2 pages

Document Summary

Types of electoral systems: mechanism for translating votes into seats. Majoritarian systems: smp get lumped into this but is different. Commonly used in british-influenced systems: e. g. Canada, india, singapore, uk, us: but not: australia, ireland, new zealand. Involves getting the most votes for a single seat to be filled. Easy to understand and easy to count. Direct lines of accountability between representative and electors voters know who"s responsible (who is my mp?) No majority (just plurality) necessary to win. Can distort the translation of votes into seats: may encourage strategic voting". Leads to the perception of wasted" votes: my vote doesn"t count linked to the issue of low turnout. Various methods for calculating seat allocation: e. g. Germany"s mmp system or australia and ireland"s stv system. May or may not involve the use of (open/closed) party lists. Do not allow for direct lines of accountability between representative and electors. Blues the lines of accountability for political actors: who is my mp!

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers