POLI 227 Lecture Notes - Majoritarianism, Corporatism, Political Freedom

24 views2 pages
Jan 28th
State Building and Regime Consolidation
State building: government involvement in the economy grows through taxation, expenditure
and regulation
State’s economic roles:
- Generating state resources
- promoting economic development (common with late industrializers)
- redistribution of income
- political tool (using their ability to extract resources to reward certain constituencies
which support them)
Example: Egypt’s land reforms were done for multiple reasons, 1) redistribution, 2) political tool
used by Nasser to gain/consolidate support of working class and poor rural societies
Regime Consolidation
Repression: many countries have overdeveloped militarily- cannot be used exclusively
Coalition building: need to have powerful groups in society behind you in authoritarian regimes
- what keeps coalitions together? Ideas, resources (promise of material benefit- support
for regime rewarded by compensation to your community or you personally)
Political freedom- chart (1973-2010): Free- increase, Partly Free- relatively stable, Not Free-
decline
Coalitions and Regime Types
Competitive Multiparty Systems
- political parties articulate and aggregate interests, speak on behalf of groups and appeal
to interests
- support bases may be broad (i.e. US) or narrow (i.e. Israel)
- parties shaped by societal cleavages, electoral system
- single member or multimember constituency systems, plurality and PR systems have
significant impacts on politics (i.e. SMC and MMC may minimize or exaggerate minority
representation, depending on both districting and minority distributions, national PR
systems represent minorities but provide no protection from majoritarianism)
- Importance of civil society
Restricted Multiparty Systems
- “hybrid” regimes
- Parties, elections with legislatures, but there is electoral manipulation, fraud, coercion,
control over state machinery and control over the state may lay elsewhere (i.e. military)
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

State building: government involvement in the economy grows through taxation, expenditure and regulation. Promoting economic development (common with late industrializers) Political tool (using their ability to extract resources to reward certain constituencies redistribution of income which support them) Example: egypt"s land reforms were done for multiple reasons, 1) redistribution, 2) political tool used by nasser to gain/consolidate support of working class and poor rural societies. Repression: many countries have overdeveloped militarily- cannot be used exclusively. Coalition building: need to have powerful groups in society behind you in authoritarian regimes. Ideas, resources (promise of material benefit- support for regime rewarded by compensation to your community or you personally) Political freedom- chart (1973-2010): free- increase, partly free- relatively stable, not free- decline. Political parties articulate and aggregate interests, speak on behalf of groups and appeal to interests support bases may be broad (i. e. us) or narrow (i. e. support bases may be broad (i. e. us) or narrow (i. e. israel)

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
Booster Classes
Class+
$8 USD/m