POLI 231 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Political Philosophy, Deontological Ethics, Haemon

47 views4 pages

Document Summary

Role of ethics in morals of politics: ethics: how should i live, key words: ought/should. Others have standing to hold you accountable for. Could be tracked with morals described by society. Politics often has something to do with this question: politics: how should we live, collective questions, solutions often imbedded in laws. Consequences of violations = norms that help regulate us. Kinds of ethical questions: general: what i ought to do, etc, more concern of philosophy, specific: what should i do as a political actor, ought to do what leads to better outcomes. Need to account for what best is = need a theory of good/value. Right: what should be done: note: there are different definitions of what has ultimate value, consequentialism: goodness of outcomes is the only thing that counts. Utilitarianism: combination of consequentialism and social welfare: there are acts that are off-limits even if the consequences are good, deontology, e. g. moral constraint against killing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers