POLI 340 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Hassan Ii Of Morocco, Arab Spring, Syrian Civil War

18 views5 pages

Document Summary

Explaining monarchical survival in the middle east. Monarchy and the arab spring monarchical survival. Most monarchs lost their power over time. in the developing world we saw monarch toppled. A lot of monarchies failed in the me too. The immediate post-colonial years in the middle east saw a number of. Middle east monarchies fail general pattern across the developing world. In the me a lot of monarchies are not traditional though. Hashemite monarchy for example was installed by the british. Gulf monarchies are leading families that became monarchies in time. the only one which has deep roots is morocco. Every monarchy in the me except morocco are younger than us democracy. Effective state building? (anderson) they are actually good at state building. Hassan ii, not a very good explanation though in general. Oil rents? (gause) most of the surviving monarchs have oil (6 of the 8). Dynastic monarchies? (herb) monarchies with big royal families.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers