PSYC 100 Lecture Notes - Frontal Lobe, Deep Structure And Surface Structure, Hearing Loss

20 views2 pages
3363410481 and 38233 others unlocked
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
29 documents

Document Summary

Speech and comprehension: perceiving verbal behaviour, understanding verbal. We can benefit from others experiences and our own. As well, we are able to store our language ( the temporal and spatial boundaries are limitless): most impt. When it was presented preceding iss, people claimed the word as kiss, when presented preceding ift, people perceived the word as gift. Understanding verbal behaviour: syntax (i. e. grammar), semantics (i. e. Understanding verbal behaviour: syntax (i. e. grammar), semantics (i. e. reference) and pragmatics (i. e. world knowledge, shared experiences) Semantics: maps of meanings, representation of the world states: noam chomsky (famous linguist) made critical distinction between surface and deep structure language. It is parallel in meaning to the distinction between syntax and semantics: to be meaningful a sentence must be grammatically correct. Thus, syntax is necessary not sufficient for semantics and in turn, semantics is necessary but not sufficient to understand. Pragmatics: to understand a sentence one requires a relationship to the world.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers